Author Topic: "Best" Rolemaster Adventures?  (Read 5199 times)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
"Best" Rolemaster Adventures?
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »
I realise that this is rather subjective, but what Rolemaster adventures that you've come across do you consider to be the best, and why?

This can be a single adventure from a supplement, or a campaign series. Commercially published, or not. MERP, Shadow World or Generic. Or anything else that you can think of.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: "Best" Rolemaster Adventures?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »
One of my very favorite to use is the one out of Jaiman - Land of Twilight, Cult of the Third Moon. I like to expand on what is given and have the PCs get embroiled in the adventure in a town several days away. Funny enough, the adventure is really easy to port over into the AD&D Ravenloft setting: a village is plagued by missing kids, some beast is prowling the lands around, and a dark cult, all the elements of Ravenloft.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 03:01:33 PM »
I have to nominate the Minas Brethil campaign for MERP by Philip Gladney, published as a serial via the Guild Companion.

We adapted it for our ongoing III Age 1400 campaign with some small modifications and it worked really well.

Incidentially, I tried to contact the author but never got a reply from the email adress then-editor Nicholas Caldwell gave me. It was probably not used anymore by that time. So if anyone can provide a contact...

Offline Terisonen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 02:50:04 PM »
A campaign or a scenario is as best as the player are. I have tending to think that it's the Player and Master who is the more important. But, The Ennemy Within for Warhammer is amazing, as is The Great Pendragon Campaign for... Pendragon. I have personnally really enjoy Mastering Cloudlords of Tanara, and I found The Iron Wind really good, packed as it is with so much amazing stuff like plans, setting and beautiful maps. Eidolon, citie in the sky is a fun setting.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
Warhammer's stuff was always good, but that has more to do with the unified setting and the very tight plotting their campaigns used, IMO. But I also saw parts of that campaign messed up by a really poor GM.

We ran a few games using the Greyhawk setting, but almost never the published adventures. I can't actually say I ever used any of the published RM stuff...aside from the adventures packaged with the Outlaw genre booklet. Even though some were obviously imported from old Boot Hill stuff they were pretty good.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 10:35:31 PM »
I used Cloudlords of Tanara for years in a long running campaign.
I also used Jaiman, Land of twilight a lot and the Quellbourne supplement.
They're all very good.

Other decent Supplements were the Eidolon books, Demons of the burning night, The Halkitaine sourcebook.

But if I had to choose one, it'd be The Cloudlords of Tanara.
Why?  I loved the layout. There were useful areas laid out to use as adventures.
It described the politics and region very well.
And lots and LOTS of adventure seeds inside the book. That was an invaluable aid to running adventures in Tanara.
www.chaos8.com

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 01:09:50 AM »
I used Cloudlords of Tanara for years in a long running campaign.
I also used Jaiman, Land of twilight a lot and the Quellbourne supplement.
They're all very good.

+1
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 04:04:31 AM »
Is that the latest edition of Cloudlords? I haven't picked that one up yet.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 08:02:38 AM »
I love Quellebourne.  I think the frontier environment is perfect for low-level players.  But, for an individual adventure I think the Demons of the Burning Night module is my favourite- only because I had a half a dozen well prepared parties die before 2 players sauntered through it with freakish luck....and it was the best GMing I had ever done by their accounts and my own.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »
The Norek Module was always a mainstay for my campaigns. I like the layout and the source material. It provides lots of ideas for adventures and the underbelly of the city was fun to play.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 06:05:09 PM »
The Norek Module was always a mainstay for my campaigns. I like the layout and the source material. It provides lots of ideas for adventures and the underbelly of the city was fun to play.

I've just actually read that from cover to cover. I'd thought it was a city book, but it's more of an adventure book using a city as a base.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 09:11:17 AM »
I often use Norek as a base of operations for adventurers.....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »

Module-wise, I was able to do a credible campaign using The Iron Wind without it being set in Shadow World. Part one involved attempting to steal Denirok's Compass (to which the players succeeded in at least forcing an exchange) and part two involved combating the Syrkakang (sp).

Site/setting-wise, I made good use of the fortress Thuringwathost  from the old MERP module, Dagorlad and the Dead Marshes.

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 11:46:23 AM »
I have that MERP module, although I've never really looked at it.

It's interesting how popular Norek is (and therefore a shame that it's effectively lost). What is it that makes it so popular?

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 12:17:02 PM »
Norek was fleshed out with city information, personalities, adventures that were reasonable to run in the city and around the city. It was fun as a city on water and was not limited with low economy of small towns or logging camps, you could actually do things and generate player goals or equipment that they are interested in purchasing or having made.

There are not many cities or modules that had all these features except Sel-Kai and that was a later city that was visited during the adventures.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline rabbitball

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Reality Physicist
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 03:46:14 PM »
The adventure that I have used as a "go to" for characters of the appropriate level has been The Shade of the Sinking Plain. For me, the items were so fantastic and the game always took a new turn depending on which ones the players could get for themselves.
Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 09:29:37 PM »

For me it was the original Iron wind version.
I've not seen the new version. I didn't even know there WAS a new version.

www.chaos8.com

Offline mtpnj

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 10:02:54 PM »
The current world I am running is based on the old Sci Fi show The Starlost.  Each vallley they go to is mostly self contained.  The door to the corridors connecting them requires a magical key to open them.  The best part is the players, despite me repeatedly telling them how important secrecy is, keep making mistakes that give away the fact that they are not from the valley they are in and of course now everyone wants to know how to get out of the valley. 

Their typical mistake is playing too dumb like asking who the ruler is or saying out loud they never heard of a particular god.  Imagine a self contained world where it would be impossible to not know the ruler or who the main god is.  Typically asking such questions when you are new to town is standard play for all of us but in this situation it is a red flag that somehow you got in and they want to know how to get out.

Lots of funny situations develop. 

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 04:01:16 AM »

For me it was the original Iron wind version.
I've not seen the new version. I didn't even know there WAS a new version.

There was an updated version released last year: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=13218.0