Author Topic: "must parry" and "No parry"  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Hra2342

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
"must parry" and "No parry"
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »
Hi everyone, i have s question

What does "no parry"  and "must parry" rounds mean? Where in the books is a detailed expanation about this?.... if no explanations exist : ¿How do you use this results in your game?

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: "must parry" and "No parry"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:27:34 AM »
Not an offical answer...

But the one that I use.

No Parry: Can't dedicate ANY OB to parry... but shield DB still applies.
Must Parry: Must dedicate ALL OB to parry... but may still attack at +0 OB

In answering this question, I'll ask one in return: The "+" of a weapon.... is this treated exactly as OB... or as a modifier to BOTH attacks and parries?

I've always treated it as OB... i.e. It's bonus can be distributed in the same manner for EITHER an attack OR a parry.

Offline Hra2342

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:15:05 PM »
I think that the "+" for weapons is for OB.

What happens is that when you use the parry option, you allocate some of your OB to DB, doesn't matter where the points came from.

For example, you have +30 OB with your long sword. +10 from ranks in long sword, +10 from stats, and a +10 for the item (long sword +10 non magical).

You can allocate this OB anywhere you like because all the bonuses enhance your OB.

Offline NuSoardGraphite

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »

What does "no parry"  and "must parry" rounds mean? Where in the books is a detailed expanation about this?.... if no explanations exist : ¿How do you use this results in your game?

It's a form of "Stun" result.  The Stun, Must Parry result means that the character CAN NOT ATTACK, but they are allowed to parry...meaning divert some or all of their Offensive Bonus to Defensive Bonus in a "Parry".  The "Stun, No Parry" result means that the character is so dazed, that they cannot even divert OB to DB to parry.  For however many rounds indicated, they are essentially defenseless. 

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 02:09:54 AM »

consider"Must Parry" to be the character is forced onto the defensive and must spend thier entire concentration simply keeping thier attacker at bay for how ever many rounds. The use all thier ability to do so

Consider "unable to parry" as been severly staggered and dazed, reeling from the blow and simply remaining standing upright is an effort. While they have a shield and natural defensive instincts to help defend themselves, they can in no way use blocking techniques or and training (i.e. Weapon OB) to help defend themselves
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Lord Arzzun

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 12:19:10 PM »
I've always allowed my players to choose between maneuvering and 'must parrying', if that movement took them away from combat.   Is that ok? 

First post!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
I've always allowed my players to choose between maneuvering and 'must parrying', if that movement took them away from combat.   Is that ok? 

First post!

IMHO: Yes.  Unless they are also Stunned.  Then they must only "Must Parry."

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »
IIRC the rules explicitly state that maneuvers are also allowed when being in the state of 'Stun' or 'Must Parry'. There are also modifiers to maneuvers (e.g. -50 when stunned) when being in that state.

Offline Theros

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Carclub where I belong. Some cool information from finnish pimped Renaults...includes also international forums
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 02:22:14 AM »
In the case where comes result "Must Parry". I won't allow any attack attempts, but if character is not parrying then it is up to him.

"No Parry", character can't parry anything. He can only dodge and try to maneuver.
When you have it, you don't respect it. When you lose it, you will miss it.
-Love-