Author Topic: Any suggestions for a good pantheon background?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline calmacil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Any suggestions for a good pantheon background?
« on: October 29, 2011, 05:53:11 AM »
I've got the basics down for the deities (names, spell lists for clerics etc) i'm happy with them. What i need is an easy way to come up with a story for them.

I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion for a pantheon background? by this i mean novels you've read. 

To give you some idea my deities are split into 3 categories;

The Protectors;
Varn (the just)
Tarahir (our lady of the forest)
Selant (the dawnmaker)

The Independant Deities;
Rygar (the red knight)
Orius (keeper of knowledge)
Karroth (queen of the depths)

The Traitors;
Nekralis (lord of the dead)
Sithrill (the frost maiden)
Morallik (prince of lies)

Any help would be much appreciated  :D Thanks

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Any suggestions for a good pantheon background?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 07:48:07 AM »
Rather than go off of novels or anything like that, I'm just going to start from what you've posted.

You have 3 groups, the Protectors, the Independents, and the Traitors.

The fact that you have deities you called "Independent" suggests that deities in your setting are not, well, dependent. This could mean the state of the world/setting does not affect them. It may be something they choose to treat as important, but it's not "vital to the survival" of the Gods. Or you could take the simpler meaning that those 3 deities are not part of either the "good guy team" or the "bad guy team". Regardless, the label begs the question of why they are independent. Yes, I see that their spheres of influence are in the "sometimes good, other times not so much" areas, but that's not the point. The point is motivation from the point of view of character logic. Think of the God as a person, and figure out why He/She goes for this deal.

The Protectors, same deal. In many ways the "sometimes good, other times not so much" argument could still be made, even with "The Just". "Justice" often isn't the same as "I got the result I wanted", and if anyone in the entire universe would be aware of that, it would be this guy. So what is it about the world and the worshipers that makes it worth being in basically a permanent state of war with another 3 Gods, and an always-in-a-state-of-flux neutrality with 3 more?

The Traitors... against what? "Traitors" not only implies someone working against you, but also that the someone working against you is someone you expected to be on your team. Okay fine, so what was the issue, what was the reason, why those you expected to be on your side decided to work against you? Remember, famous traitors in history rarely think of themselves as traitors, they think of themselves as patriots and martyrs. So just as with the Protectors, you have to ask yourself why they chose this result. Imagine a world where you could nail someone to a wall with a crossbow bolt through the head and have them not die, or go watch Liar Liar, and you can see how "The Traitors" could easily think of themselves as "no, we're the good guys".

In short, try to figure out not only what their motivation is for being who they are (in terms of sphere of influence and etc.), but also their motivation for making the enmities and alliances they have. Also try to decide whether the world and its worshipers are vital to them, merely a convenience, or just an interesting way to pass the time.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 08:02:22 AM »
  Traitors often feel slighted in someway by those they were affiliated with or the groups they used to belong to. IMHO that makes a good background story.
  I would also look to some earthly mythology to find examples of stories about deities and their backgrounds.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 07:13:51 PM »
Your pantheon "Loosely" reminds me of the melnibonean gods from the Elric novels by Michael Moorecock. Gods of Order,Neutrality & Chaos.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »
GOF has some good ideas. For another example, my world had a single original god. Then an archmage with more ambition than brains started messing with planar contact spells and opened a rift. That left in a number of extraplanar beings who became the Young Gods, aligned more or less against a rival from their plane of existence. The old god (the Mother) soon went into eclipse, and the Cataclysm also "split" magic into the three Realms. Arcane magic only exists in a few isolated corners or professions, drawing on the remnants of the Mother's power.

From that origin story I created motives for all the Young Gods, as well as their particular areas of influence. Some remain allies from their original planes, while others are captivated by the new opportunities opening to them and have formed new alliances and created new enemies. The Cataclysm also saw a handful of demi-human champions elevated to god status, infused in part by the power of the Mother so that she could still have a hand in affairs in the world.

You've got a good starting point, as GOF pointed out. It's just a matter of fleshing it out now.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline calmacil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »
Thanks all, some food for thought there.

I've expanded on it slightly, but i haven't had time to sit down and think about it in depth yet.

Part of my setting includes an ongoing war between elves and demons. It won't be revealed until much later that it was the elves that made these demons, and have brought about their own destruction. So i'd like to include this in the "Gods" background somehow.

Here's what i've thought of....
Originally the Gods weren't part of the world. The planet was ruled by a race of Titans (i might change the race, but don't want it to be dragons, that's been done to death. Titans v Gods is a bit like Greek mythology at the moment. May change)
The Titans were harsh and ruled with an iron fist. Elder races (elves and dwarfs) were the Titans slaves (i want the elder races to remember them)
The Gods appear and take pity on the elves/dwarfs and eventually attack the Titans (the elves call them the protectors) Many of the Gods are killed, and it looks as though they might lose at one stage. Some of the Gods switch sides (known as the traitors) to help the Titans, the elves try to help the Gods by magically enhancing some of their elite warriors (these turn into the demons)
Then the predictable...Gods win and we're at the current stage

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »
calmacil;
 The above into also sounds a lot like Norse Mythology as well as Greek/Roman Mythology. You might want to do some reading on that subject as well.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.