Author Topic: Rank bonus  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rank bonus
« on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:28 AM »
Any meta rules on skill ranks over 30 giving more then the idiotic ½ skill point.
I know spell law states that dir spell after rank 30 still will give 1 per rank.
But as a pure arms user with lvl bonus dying at lvl 20 it kills the joy of gaining lvl all together when nothing happens!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Rank bonus
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 09:22:02 AM »
You could simply make a house rule like I did that makes the bonuses progress 0•5•3•2•1.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:29:56 AM »
In RMI, Directed Spell was limited to 10 ranks, for a +50 bonus max.

RM2 changed that, allowing the skill to be developed normally.

+3 per level for prof bonus is +60 at level 20, then can progress at +2 per level till level 40, then +1 per level till level 60.  This option is listed on a table in Lords of Middle Earth Volume I.

If you dislike the+1/2 (which is a +1 with two ranks purchased) after 30 ranks, simply make it +1 after 20 ranks. 

There is also an option in one of the companions to make all OB skill progressions 5/4/3/2/1.  The result is big numbers to play with.

When in Rome, tell em to go &*&^ themselves and do it your way.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Green Manalishi

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:15:02 PM »
I use 5/4/3/2/1 progression for weapon skills from RoCoIII, but I also use a flat profession bonus instead of per level (every +1 per level equals flat +5 bonus.) End reuslt is OB is just slightly higher for fighters, but brings up others with lower profession bonuses that invest a lot of DPs for weapons.
This makes ranks very important

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 03:06:34 AM »
I have weapon specialization rules that grant per rank bonuses starting at level 20, typically only +1 per rank (so you get 1.5 per rank if specialized).
I also changed Everyman to a +1 per rank and Occupational to +2 per rank... but I think I might move that down to .5 and 1 respectively due to the levels we tend to see in our campaigns.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss