Author Topic: Magic Fights  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Magic Fights
« on: January 26, 2009, 05:51:26 AM »
Did anybody try to adapt the netrunning and netfighting rules of Cyberpunk, Shadowrun ... on the RM magic system? For example for mind combat, combating wards or even breaking curses?

Offline Cloven-Fruit-Games

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Magic Fights
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:12:58 AM »
No, but I would like to see it.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 09:31:16 AM »
If its like the old Shadowrun, its basically a dungeoncrawl-ish miniadventure with some objectives that needs to be reached to succeed. Could just play it out using the standard rules but everything takes place within the person?s mind if its a curse, or mindcombat.
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:36:17 AM »
Could just play it out using the standard rules but everything takes place within the person?s mind if its a curse, or mindcombat.

Yep, that?s the basic idea.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 01:37:48 PM »
Well the idea is neat. Could even use it for mage duals (the non-lethal ones that is).
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:01:56 PM »
I guess one could model it after the old DnD (Man, I hate having to reference that game all the time, but it was the leader in this industry....) psionic combat. Where the majority of the attacks and defenses were only usable agianst other psionic characters. I like the idea that two magicians can be having a totally personal battle with each other while a different battle rages around them.

I would just suggest you make sure that it doesn't remove them from situation in the way the old netrunning rules did. It blows having to wait there while the decker (mage) deals with the complex grid (magic wards) or another decker (enemy mage). That is something that I really like about the current edition of Shadowrun, the netrunning and astral stuff can happen along side the normal stuff.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 11:32:38 PM »
 Boy the old D&D Psionic reference brought back many memories of power gaming. In our game Psi attacks were 1/10 of  a round so a Psi could make 10 attacks in a round.

In White Wolfs Mage the Awakening they have 10 arcana that are used to cast all spells. During a mage fight the mages use there levels/ranks/dots in a aracan as a attack and another as a defense. Damage is done to a combined stat that is called willpower and who ever gets the other to 0 wins.
 I can see some game mechanic bieng created for a setting. If I was doing it I might use the number of ranks in open, closed and profession lists. You could use some mulitple to generate a number and then use it as a RR vs the other mage. Yes it is not slick but IMO it might give mages a lot of seperation vs other mages.
 Another idea is to create skills to handle this. I guess you could have an attack, defense and maybe a special maneuvers skill. Then the mages would use the skills to fight back and forth with each mage using 1 or more PP per round. As per the Combat Companion there could be magic combat arts with special moves costing more PP then basic attacks and defense.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.