Author Topic: Adjustments to crits when doing multiple crits  (Read 2672 times)

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Adjustments to crits when doing multiple crits
« on: November 07, 2008, 10:56:51 PM »
If you have a weapon that does two crits (like Krush and Electricity) and you have an affect that adjusts the critical roll (like Ambush), do you adjust both rolls?

-shnar

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Adjustments to crits when doing multiple crits
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 11:21:26 PM »
No. Only the primary critical is adjusted (i.e. a mace that does both Krush and Electricity, using separate rolls, would only have Ambush adjust the Krush crit).

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 11:29:58 PM »
Is the same then for "Slaying" attacks? Cause if so, I'd almost rather not do the normal critical and just do the slaying critical with the added bonus (these bonuses are coming from Sacrifice Attack from the Combat Styles, LOVE that style!).

-shnar

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:00:40 AM »
This applies to Slaying and Holy crits both, and presumes that you are using Arms Law as Slaying criticals as the quote at the bottom of this post gives my answer regarding Holy and Slaying crits when using the CC tables (and if using those tables, then it doesn't really matter).

According to Arms Law, Holy and Slaying crits against foes that are not large or super large make the normal crit, and then the Slaying crit as a second crit, that uses the SAME roll.

An extra critical is not the same thing as a Slaying or Holy attack, as those two change the nature of the attack they are not doing "an extra critical". And since both use the SAME roll for both crits, then I would say that the crit adjustment is made to the roll, and then you look up the roll for both types of crit (normal and slaying OR normal and holy).

For attacks that do extra crits (i.e. Mace of Electricity that does an extra electrical crit), the extra crit would NOT receive the adjustment, just as stated before, regardless of whether or not the same roll is used for both.

As a simple mod to the existing crit roll, I would say to give Holy a +25 mod, and Slaying a +50 Mod (and ignore caps due to critical severity). This would be my preferred method of handling it.

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:11:50 AM »
Oh, my bad, I figured with Slaying Crits it was a different roll, since it seemed like with normal crits, the roll number is the same general body part, so mulitple crits would use the same roll. But with the Slaying crit, it was so different we figured it was another/separate roll.

However, adding 50 to the CC Crit Tables would practically kill them every time, especially with a maneuver like Sacrifice Strike (my lvl 5 orc can get +16 on his crit roll, add +50 for a slaying, that's +66 to the roll, instant death to any elf, with how lethal these CC crit tables are).

-shnar

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:28:18 AM »
+16 to crit roll, +48 to OB, -64 to his DB (i.e. DB CAN go Negative here, making DB of 50 turn into +14 to foe's attack), and -16 to Init (high inits go first).

It is more likely that the character using this will end up getting hit more often.

And remember, that is a flat add, not like ambush, you do not get to decide how much to add to crit roll (well you do when you decide how much to shift BEFORE the round begins). And if they are using an Elf Slaying sword? It is supposed to be lethal to elves -- I cannot see a group of elves who know of this weapon allowing it to stay within the hands of the character for long. Then again, elves do love their bows..... and an elf slaying sword is little aid at a distance.....   ;D

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:53:55 AM »
Oh yeah, we're playing orcs and we've just stormed a citadel, so they're in hallways and bows aren't very accessible here. Plus, when I've been doing Sacrifice Attack, it's usually been when they can't hit me (i.e. they're engaged with another player), so I do a Deliberate, Flank max Sacrifice Attack, and I'm killing elves left and right.

His DB is in the 70s (Magic Shield, Magic Armor, the adjustments from AbtP, Shield Training, etc), so he actually has a little bit of DB left over when he does his attack, but still, each attack has been very pretty good, but adding +50 to my crit roll is /almost/ a guarenteed kill!

-shnar