Author Topic: Carnivorous Flying Squirrels!!!!!  (Read 1332 times)

Offline mightypawn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Carnivorous Flying Squirrels!!!!!
« on: August 31, 2011, 07:41:48 PM »
Carnivorous Flying Squirrels!!!!!

OMG!  I just discovered these absolutely LOVABLE creatures!!!!

They are a real treat!  I hand made my own similarly fun (my players reaction made it all the more entertaining) creature back when I ran D20 games, and I have updated it to RMFRP standards.  So I will share!

Simply put, it is one thing to put your characters up against some mighty foe.  It is quite another to set them against large numbers of tiny foes that individually would pose no threat to anyone. 

I call these little nasties "Outworld Pixies"

Outworld pixies are diminutive in size, even compared to Faerie Folk.  Averaging a mere 3/4 inch in height, they are indeed nearly impossible to spot when they are not flitting about in their usual swarms.  They are amazingly skilled in flight, and are quicker and more maneuverable than an ordinary house fly.  Outworld Pixies are very intelligent however, and even smith their own weapons.  They favor swords, we might call them needles, and they wield them with amazing skill and accuracy, giving them a natural +25 to all attacks.  Due to their speed and grace and size, armor is useless against them, and all attacks ignore any armor worn by the hapless adventurer who threatens or trespasses in their territory.  In truth, Outworld Pixies are good natured folk that have had the misfortune of being taken advantage of due to their size.  Thus they are instinctively hostile to any unwelcome intruders.  But, if during the fray, if a player were to beg for mercy, the attack would come to a halt....  How long the cease fire lasts, will depend on the next words that come from a players mouth!  This little secret has never been revealed to players however, and none have ever uttered anything less than curses at the poor little guys!

Level1A
Base Rate50
Max/MMDash/100
Speed MS/AQVF/VF
Size/CritT/-
Hits5
AT/DB1/80
Attacks60Tiss(TiPuncture)/85tiss<<
#Enc.30-300
Treasure-
Bonus EPA
OutlookProtect(HI)

Notes:  All Criticals against OutWorld Pixies are resolved as "Slaying"
           Outworld Pixies attack on the Stinger Chart

Habitat (cfa)(N)(OSZG)(-)-6

These little things will certainly put a smile on any GM's face!  I've had groups spend inordinate amounts of time trying to create a "Bug Spray" so they could deal with these little terrors! 

Introduce them to your campaign today!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:55:54 PM by mightypawn »

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Carnivorous Flying Squirrels!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:54:19 PM »
My equivalent is not intelligent, I call them "shrewflies". They're basically horseflies that swarm like locusts.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline mightypawn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »
My equivalent is not intelligent, I call them "shrewflies". They're basically horseflies that swarm like locusts.

Wonderful!  I can always use more "treats"!  Please share!  Description and stats PLEASE!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:03:41 PM »
They stat out very similar to your pixies. Major differences are base rate 100', 1 hit each, #Enc. 100-10,000, Tiny Beak/Pincer attack at +50. And they're non-intelligent swarming insects. They only eat live meat, once they realize something's dead they lose interest, except for the females who lay eggs.

It's been a long time since I used them, I don't remember their habitat or what time of year they swarm. I was tempted for a time to steal Larry Niven's idea and make them explode if you fireball them or hit them too hard, like little flying cherry bombs.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »
Oops, no, I was wrong. I found them again, I had stashed them in the bestiary. Along with feetchers.

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=8111