Author Topic: simple question about everyman skills  (Read 2843 times)

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
simple question about everyman skills
« on: August 05, 2011, 06:34:38 AM »
After some years of HARP our group decided to go back to RM (RMFRP in this case - before HARP we played RM1+2) because of weapon diversity, skill diversity and critical diversity.

Now i have a question about everyman skills. What happens if the same everyman skill is gained by class and by race/culture? Just an unlucky coincidence? Or does the everyman skill change to occupational skill? Or does this skill generalized still count as everyman?  ;D ;D
Is it possible to put the special training talent ''skilled'' on a generalized skill?

Probably it is in the rules somewhere but i couldn't find it yet.

cheers
choc

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: simple question about everyman skills
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 07:00:10 AM »
There is no rule covering this. 

You can ignore it.  If you want to give a bonus, I recommend a +5 bonus for a core game, a +10 for a heroic game, or increase the skill to OCC for an epic style game.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 07:09:10 AM »
I agree that there is no rule to cover this.  Personally, I don't provide any additional benefits; the skill remains Everyman.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:57:55 AM »
I vaguely remember a rule/errata for this...
Was it Race precedes Culture, or the other way around?

But if it's Everyman either way, then it's Everyman, IMHO.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:17:06 AM »
Now i have a question about everyman skills. What happens if the same everyman skill is gained by class and by race/culture? Just an unlucky coincidence? Or does the everyman skill change to occupational skill? Or does this skill generalized still count as everyman?  ;D ;D
There is a ruling for this. RMSS pg. 31 says that skill classifications "for the professions take precedence over those specified for the cultures/races and by the skill category definitions.
Is it possible to put the special training talent ''skilled'' on a generalized skill?
I'd say yes. The description of the talent says that the skill to apply the talent to has to have the combined or standard progression. No other restrictions.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
There is a ruling for this. RMSS pg. 31 says that skill classifications "for the professions take precedence over those specified for the cultures/races and by the skill category definitions.

Which means (by omission) that Everyman + Everyman => Everyman.  That rule deals with situations like Culture makes Swimming Restricted, but Profession makes Swimming Everyman.  The end result is Everyman.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
Right. I did not say that the rule is good, only that a ruling exists. In fact the complete concept of Everyman, Restricted and Occupational skills seems broken to me. A flat bonus instead of the current handling would IMHO have been the better choice, plus it would be easy to simply add the bonuses in case of e.g. an Everyman skill from the culture plus Occupational skill from the profession.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
A bg option cab purchase a +5 to a catagory, or a +10 to a skill.  So it seems to me an EV rating could be +10 to a skill, or +5 to a catagory made ev.  If OCC, a skill would be +20, a catagory +10.

Restricted skills would be -15.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 03:39:11 AM »
I treat this problem thus:

Everyman + Everyman = Occupational
Everyman + Occupational = Occupational
Restricted + Everyman = Normal
Restricted + Occupational = Everyman

This seems more logical than RAW...IMO

When a character takes a talent or Background Option that affects in the same manner, I treat it as a Proffession multiplier rather than a racial skill multiplier.

However, I also veer away from RAW with respect to the application of Everyman/Occupational skills anyway, in that I treat skill ranks gained from Training packages as purchased and thus subject to multiplication. 

The skilled trait/background is a simple unmodified bonus and does not affect the muliplication of skill ranks.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »
I treat this problem thus:

Everyman + Everyman = Occupational
Everyman + Occupational = Occupational
Restricted + Everyman = Normal
Restricted + Occupational = Everyman

This seems more logical than RAW...IMO

I use this House Rule also as it seems to make a lot of sense.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.