Author Topic: How to get my 4e players into Rolemaster?  (Read 3317 times)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: How to get my 4e players into Rolemaster?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
This is all good and helpful stuff, people, and I must say THANK YOU!

I have three players interested in the arena scenario now. I am thinking an opener of a single Orc (Uruk in my setting, thank you Mr Tolkien). I can imagine the "hey, this will be easy" turning into a shock. When they best him, perhaps I can unleash 3 skeletons. And, having survived those, then maybe a final challenge.

Find a way to stress how any PC can do ANYTHING: no limit on lock picking or tracking or what weapon can be used or even spells learned (for this, look atthe spell list and create an encounter were its end results in a spell list magically learned to level 5.  They may have to develop popwer points if they have none from stat mods, but the uniqueness of it will sell).

Forgive my ignorance here, but I thought in RM you could only cast a spell of your level or less? Level 5 spells would require level 5 heroes, right?

I imagine I am mistaken, but best to ask.

It is called over casting and requires a SCSM or ESF check, depending on what version/optional rules you are using (over casting was originally an optional rule back in the day, one of the RMSS "improvements" was making over casting RAW).

However, giving a treasure that cannot be fully utilized until additional levels are gained is ok, and players tend to like them.  Gives them something to look forward too.

When the prize is given, it can be random, or if you prefer, link the list to some trait of the PC.

Note that such a gift can have additional limitations.  If you give an essence list to non spell user, they normally wear armor: built in limitations.  Menatlism would be the freindliest.  Me, I would base the list on their highest spell stat, Em, Pr and In.  This would probably guarantee at least a few pp, with or without pp development.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:23:22 PM by yammahoper »
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 10:09:15 PM »
Pay attention to what they complain about or wish they could do in 4th.  While I have never played it, nor have the desire too, when playing 3.5 I get a cool idea then have to tell myself that there is no spell mastery so never mind.  I would stress the magic system rather than combat.  While the complexity may be a turn off just keep reminding them that there arent 75 charts, there it is really only one chart over and over.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 12:30:52 AM »
Pay attention to what they complain about or wish they could do in 4th.

My guys complain about how geared 4e is towards combat encounters, unless the GM chooses to re-work the XP system. They comment on how skills are not really too useful, are too general, and how there is no real difference between magical and warrior powers.

I think RM offers more exciting combat, the integration of skills into the game even in a combat encounter, and a broader XP system as default. Also magic is separate and different to combat skill, or any other ability. Choices are wider, and more granular.

When we run the encounters I think the tables will seem odd... But it's still the same amount of dice-rolling and the pace is only slower if/when players spend time thinking about their decisions and actions. In 4e the decision is "which power do I use?" but in RM there is more subtlety. Overall, RM expects players to describe and respond to an ongoing flow of action.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
My guys complain about how geared 4e is towards combat encounters, unless the GM chooses to re-work the XP system. They comment on how skills are not really too useful, are too general, and how there is no real difference between magical and warrior powers.
You can do a lot with that just by your choice of scenario. The one really skilled orc I mentioned above? Meet him way high in the mountains...in a pass... in heavy fog, or perhaps rain.... with a chance of snow later.

The exact same monster set in a different environment completely alters what skills are needed/useful to survive the encounter.

If they get nowhere with the orc (the heaviness of the fog and the beginning of the snowstorm decree it a "draw") and flee to the ruins of an old mining town to wait out the blizzard, and then fall through a rotten floor into an old mine and have to find their way out... well now the "combat with the orc" (that never happened) has become utterly inconsequential in terms of who gets XP, and for what.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:12 AM »
Warning: You can overplay that hand. My players have gotten to where they are no longer surprised by the most dangerous "monsters" being the terrain and the weather. So, useful as it is, try not to go to that well too often, it'll start to run dry.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula