Author Topic: Can anyone explain stat gains from RMFRP to me please?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline daddystabz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Can anyone explain stat gains from RMFRP to me please?
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:53:47 PM »
I am playing currently in a MERP 2e game and I wanted to import stat gains as an option for leveling up since MERP 2e has no real to increase your attributes besides through magical items.  I was going to import the rules for stat gains upon leveling up from pg 37 in the RMFRP rulebook but it is confusing me a bit.  Is anyone able to break this process down a tad and explain it to me please? I do not understand at all what is meant by "potential" vs your temporary attribute score.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:08:48 AM by daddystabz »

Offline daddystabz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Can anyone explain stat gains from RMFRP to me please?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
Upon looking through some Rolemaster books it appears there is a table you roll on to determine your potential for each attribute.  Perhaps this will give me the info I need to understand how the stat increases work when you level up.

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Can anyone explain stat gains from RMFRP to me please?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:33:55 AM »
In RMSS/FRP, you have two sets of Stats:

Temporary stats represent what your abilities currently are, while Potential stats represent the highest you'll ever get.  For pretty much everything, you'll use your temporary stats.  The Potential stats are there to limit how high you can go through stat gains.  MERP does not use temporary/potential stats.

That said, the process is pretty simple to use, but to do so would require you to add potential stats to your MERP characters.

When you do a stat gain, you'll roll two d10 dice.  This is not a d100 roll.  If you roll two 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's, or 5's, ( for example a 1 and a 1, or a 2 and a 2), then you reduce the temporary stat by that number.  If you roll two 6's, 7's, 8's, 9's or 10's, then the stat increases by the total of the dice.  For example, if you roll an 8 and an 8, you increase the temporary stat by 16.

Otherwise, you have to compare the temp stat with the potential.  If the difference between the two is 20 or greater, then you add the total of the dice to your temporary stat.  (So a 6 and a 9 increases the stat by 15.)  If the difference between the two is less than 10, you add the lower of the two dice, and if the difference is between 10 and 20, you add the higher of the dice.

You cannot increase the temporary stat past its associated potential stat.  So if you have a potential of, say 87, then you'll never raise the temporary stat above 87.

In RMFRP, to determine your temporary stats, you get 660 points to divide among them.  For potentials, you'll roll dice.  It's summarised on a table, but what page it's on in the RMFRP book escapes me.  In RMSS, it's on page 54.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.