Author Topic: Spell slotting in lists  (Read 1340 times)

Offline kasalin

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell slotting in lists
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:30:59 AM »
How are the spell slots determined in the various spell lists?  I was looking at the lists in the Guild Companion for February and was curious how people decide spell X is level 8 while spell y is level 10.  I understand that many of the higher level spells are duration/range/# affected increments, but if you have spells: Open Door and Close Door, how do you determine which is the higher level one?  Having created spells for HARP, there is a formula for spell creation.  Is there something similar in RM?  Thanks!
* No good deed goes unpunished

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell slotting in lists
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »
 The is no official rules for spell creation and determining what ranks that spells belong in, that I am aware of. It would be nice if there was one and it would mean a new edition of Spell Law and every published spell list to fit the new formula. Not a bad project if I say so myself.
 There are also some benefits and some losses by having a formula. Everything is defined and has a space. Without one spells can jockey for spots (ranks) and provide for a bit more flavor and unique character, IMHO.

Your question about Open Door and Closed Door spells has been handled in many games by a simple RR of the attacking spell vs the defending spell. You use the casters level(s) as the #'s, or some simply so a spell rank vs a spell rank on the RR table.
 I have some specific spells in my game that I allow the casters to expend extra PP to make harder to dispel but I am thinking about making it an option available to all spells.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline kasalin

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »
  Your question about Open Door and Closed Door spells has been handled in many games by a simple RR of the attacking spell vs the defending spell. You use the casters level(s) as the #'s, or some simply so a spell rank vs a spell rank on the RR table.
 I have some specific spells in my game that I allow the casters to expend extra PP to make harder to dispel but I am thinking about making it an option available to all spells.

MDC

Sorry, I was unclear on my meaning in this example. What I meant was, if I'm making a new list and Open and Close Door spells are on the list, how do I choose which is the more powerful (i.e., higher rank) spell.  Since there's no written standard, sounds like I slot them based on how I feel for the day.
* No good deed goes unpunished

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »
 Yes you are correct. You slot them based on the theme of the spell list. Then the Gm checks it for balance or someone else does.
 This was a big problem back in the RM2 days with lost of fan spell lists being too powerful and resulted in power creep. Some loved the creep and some did not.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.