Author Topic: Experience Multipliers  (Read 3679 times)

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
Re: Experience Multipliers
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
I think the most important factor a GM must ask is, "are the characters advancing at an appropriate rate?" 
If not add or remove XP rules as needed.   
Jaranka and I are playing in a Forgotten Realms based world and are advancing at a comparable rate to a typical D&D game. 
IMO things really get interesting around level 8++
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 02:28:43 AM »
the default RM logic in terms of multipliers is to add them, the experience multiplier being the exception to the general RM rule, which is an exception to standard math procedures.  :o
Do you have any reference in the rules for this RM default of adding multipliers? The RM Rulings page has one entry for damage multipliers, stating that these are to be added, and one for the XP multipliers, stating that these are to be multiplied. In the rules books I never found a reference to handling multipliers any other than the standard mathematical logic - which would be multiplying them.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 06:00:19 AM »
No time to be digging books up at the moment, but PP multiplication works the same way (like if you have archetype and a x2 PP multiplier, it gives you x3 PPs not x4)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 06:31:30 AM »
To me the logic seems to be that in-game effects, such as PP multipliers or damage multipliers, usually get added, while other multipliers use the normal mathematical logic. The former is probably used to not get such stacking multipliers get the game out of balance (like with e.g. a Kathkusa herb, an Adrenal Strength and a x3 damage sword being at work at the same time).

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 08:57:56 AM »
The cost of items section in RM2 explicitly says to add the multipliers, which to me reinforces my point, that when you're supposed to do the unusual thing -- composing multipliers by addition -- it tells you to do it explicitly.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 10:24:10 AM »
Such potential for unintended heat here since the issue possibly appears to question someones intelligence.  I've been on this board for years, one thing I know is the posters are smart.

To me the issue seems once again a matter of clarification regarding the rules for exp, particularly how multipliers are applied.

Exceptions to rules create a counter intuitive-ness...is that a word?  Constant exceptions make the rules and system seem far more complex than it needs to be.  I think this issue is key in redesigning RM. 

I used the exp system as is for a long while, even creating hand out sheets with premade simple flow charts to track first time exp for suffering crits, killing foes, mnv's performed, etc.  After years of gaming and developing a solid undertanding of RM mechanics, I tossed the exp system (except for first time crits are suffered because my players liked them and they are generous) and went with handing out off the top of my head.  Behind my screen was a small list:  idea points, roleplaying points, goal completion points and fun points.  Every player recieved a bonus for each catagory, or none sometimes.

I have only once in my experience as GM handed out negative exp, but guide lines should probably be provided. 

So what is the best approach for generating and handing out exp?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 11:51:11 PM »
Good point! Posters are smart.
Players could roll on the Learning Maneuver table or fumble for Insight/Logic crits.
66  "By soaking in the tub after a trying day, you realize how to determine if the crown is real gold. Unfortunately, you are proposing the new theory at the top of your lungs, in the street, naked."

Having a RR vs Learning, the players could take an active role in their own experience.  ;)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 11:15:02 AM »
The cost of items section in RM2 explicitly says to add the multipliers, which to me reinforces my point, that when you're supposed to do the unusual thing -- composing multipliers by addition -- it tells you to do it explicitly.

I get that logic, and generally, in actual life I consider x2 x3 to mean x6. But coming to the handful of examples within the subset of RM where multipliers interact, it seems like in every instance except experience multipliers they add in the manner described. . .

Hence, in real life I tend to assume multiplying against multiples, but in RM I usually assume it means for me to add them, since in most instances it does. <shrug> "assume" many not mean "default" but that was what I meant.

Quite a long stretch from the original post, I will state that I was mistaken, and Echthelion's post seems to be 100% correct, that in experience multiples, you multiply them against each other.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 05:34:59 AM »
Tend towards recording everything that the character does or experiences, which means a lot of bookwork but I think more accurately reflects the learning process.

Taking an "E" type critcal for the 1st time... should be a fairly monumental thing... surviving it and realising that it could have gone a lot worse is a very definite learning experience for the character concerned. Well worth the 2500xp I'd say.

As for spells.. I record each spell cast. It's often the case that a lesser spell isn't used until well into the casters career.. by that time, relatively speaking, the xp gained with x5 multiplier gained is minimal compared to the amount required to increase in level. Yes, there is the chance that a player may very well try and exploit at low levels by casting as many different spells as possible. However, if the spell has no purpose in the situation that it is cast I simply halve the xp gained.