Author Topic: Animals atack  (Read 1551 times)

Offline tersipodes

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Animals atack
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:11:12 AM »
Hi,

I have a question. Do you broke the barrier of animal attack? I explain myself, if an animal makes a medium attack of whatever it does, and the dice roll is an 146, for example.
What do you do? Do you apply the maximun damage for medium attack and nothing else? or Do you add extra damage like "breaking 150 weapon attack"?

How do you calculate that?

Thank you!

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Animals atack
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:30:19 AM »
The caps on the Claw Law style tables are intended to reflect limited damage, so I generally don't apply whatever my 150+ rule is, until it hits 150+.

Like, if I were playing in a game with "wrap the chart" a 255 roll on a Large claw attack would do a:

135 result, then a 255-150=105 result

not a

135 and then a 255-135=120 result

Technically, core rule, you get nothing from rolls over threshold (either 150 on a regular attack, or 135 on a large CL attack) so it's a grey area where your judgment, the particular version of 150+ rule you use, and what has the right feel for your game.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »
I wrap the damage just like for weapons.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
If the animal has a maximum attack of Medium, then I cap it off at Medium. I don't use roll over/over roll. We use to, but it didn't make sense for me.
If you fall 10 feet, there is a maximum damage from that fall. You could still become seriously injured or even killed by the crit, but it just isn't the same as if you rolled for a drop of 100 feet.

IMHO, attack sizes are there for a reason.

Without a base range for the attack size/type, you might not need a chart. You probably could make a formula for actual die roll + bonuses and not need a chart for every type of damage and weapon.
Everything could be based on a modified RR table chart. Different AT grants a bonus to certain damage types... One chart to rule them all...
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Shottglazz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Our Rolemaster Group
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 10:21:15 AM »
If the animal has a maximum attack of Medium, then I cap it off at Medium. I don't use roll over/over roll. We use to, but it didn't make sense for me.
If you fall 10 feet, there is a maximum damage from that fall. You could still become seriously injured or even killed by the crit, but it just isn't the same as if you rolled for a drop of 100 feet.

IMHO, attack sizes are there for a reason.

Without a base range for the attack size/type, you might not need a chart. You probably could make a formula for actual die roll + bonuses and not need a chart for every type of damage and weapon.
Everything could be based on a modified RR table chart. Different AT grants a bonus to certain damage types... One chart to rule them all...

Exactly how we use any charts with attack sizes...
Shottglazz

Take my love, take my land, Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free - you can't take the sky from me.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 12:29:32 PM »
We don't allow any attack tables to "roll over."  We used to, but the mechanic favored warriors that maxed out one or two weapons with huge OBs at the expense of more diverse warriors.  If you suffer a penalty with (for example) piercing weapons against skeletons, you can a) switch to a crushing weapon or b) get even better with your bow to offset the penalties.  In the latter case, you're also doing more damage against mundane targets.  So, we now cap every table at 150 (or lower for animals et al.), which encourages diversification.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 05:14:11 PM »
 No roll over for animal attacks unless it is a PC doing the attacking, then it works as Marc R said above they only roll over after the 150 mark.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 06:23:32 AM »
Tersipodes, which "over 150" method do you use?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com