Author Topic: Revision Setup Poll (split from "Cutting the revision knot").  (Read 4377 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: Revision Setup Poll (split from "Cutting the revision knot").
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 06:06:54 AM »
I am also going for 3 C II; this is, however, me speaking as a long time gamer. People who get started with RM should probably get one-catches-all-book, like MERP or RMFRP to get into the game easily.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 08:45:13 AM »
2DIII
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline arcadayn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 09:07:49 AM »
3CI
arcadayn

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 09:18:01 AM »
I am also going for 3 C II; this is, however, me speaking as a long time gamer. People who get started with RM should probably get one-catches-all-book, like Not-RM or RMFRP to get into the game easily.

Under new management, are the forums still going to turn the Game That Must Not Be Mentioned into Not-RM?

RMX is the best intro all-in-one, surely? More lightweight than RMFRP, I'd say (although of course it'd depend on to which version of RM one wished to be introduced).

Offline Moriarty

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
I only read the first post of this thread.

3 C I

Please also note that I voted with only my own personal preferences in mind - what I would like to see and purchase - not what I think others would want or purchase. Generally, I find marketing issues boring as hell and better left to others. In fact, I would like to suggest that marketing issues (including how to bring certain perceived historical customer segments together) could be discussed separately from the discussion of how to make the best possible RM game.
...the way average posters like Moriarty read it.

Offline Eric Desbiens

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 11:30:14 AM »
3     New product: No, New version: Definitively
B     One core book + Online access to all rules and extensions as a monthly/yearly subscription
II

Offline boawk

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Destination Boawk
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »
3CII

Offline frnchqrtr

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 09:34:13 PM »
2CI
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - Cardinal and Duc de Richelieu

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis

Offline kasalin

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »
3CII

3) You would like to see and likely purchase any new products or new version of Rolemaster (assuming you liked them/it).

C)  One mid sized core book that contains the primary rules of the game with separate arms and spell books.

II)  You don't mind some duplicated materials.
* No good deed goes unpunished

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 02:32:52 AM »
First of all: 1

If I was to get something new: A and I.

Im not saying I would never consider going away from RMSS/FRP, which has been our game of choice for the last ten years, but Im not shure what it would take. It has taken a long time to collect all the books, learning and understanding the rules, and I think something entirely new and exciting would have to come along - like critical tables once was - for me to want to start that process all over again.

If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Fnord

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 07:27:42 AM »
2 C II

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
I think the major problem of the Mjolnir approach to RM was the assumption that if you make a tight core book (RMX) then people will be interested in buying it and purchasing more books. I might be wrong, but in that case show me the sales numbers please. I don't believe that RMX gave any significant input of the new players to the forum and don't believe it can given Mjolnir any decent sales beyond I-buy-it-since-there-is-nothing-else-new-to-buy.

My point is that RM did never excel in the area of small stuff, it originally gained supporters because it was detailed and rich. You could challenge the dragon and have a thrilling fight. The local militia with crossbows was a thing to fear. The diverse spell list made every encounter with a spell user scary since you would never know what spells they would be using. All these are things that are hinted in RMX, but how could a new player understand what including the options mean just from RMX?

The length of any new RM books are secondary to that they really show the strengths of the new game. Actually I don't think the length is without importance. The shorter you make the core book, the harder it will be to write it well enough to gain new players.
/Pa Staav

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 08:22:49 AM »
I think the major problem of the Mjolnir approach to RM was the assumption that if you make a tight core book (RMX) then people will be interested in buying it and purchasing more books. I might be wrong, but in that case show me the sales numbers please. I don't believe that RMX gave any significant input of the new players to the forum and don't believe it can given Mjolnir any decent sales beyond I-buy-it-since-there-is-nothing-else-new-to-buy.

My point is that RM did never excel in the area of small stuff, it originally gained supporters because it was detailed and rich. You could challenge the dragon and have a thrilling fight. The local militia with crossbows was a thing to fear. The diverse spell list made every encounter with a spell user scary since you would never know what spells they would be using. All these are things that are hinted in RMX, but how could a new player understand what including the options mean just from RMX?

The length of any new RM books are secondary to that they really show the strengths of the new game. Actually I don't think the length is without importance. The shorter you make the core book, the harder it will be to write it well enough to gain new players.

RM2, which is presumably what you're describing as "detailed and rich", came in three pretty small books plus a small Creatures and Treasures book.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 12:56:08 PM »
(Keep in mind the difference between 1980 RPG layout, 1990s layout and early 21st century layout logic. . .those books have a lot of small type that goes all the way to the margins, so they're longer than you'd think looking at them without opening them.)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 02:35:59 PM »
I think a single volume similar to RMFRP; but with some of the filler cut back would be good.  I don't see having 5-10 pages of equipment or herbs as being "value added"; post it as a free PDF from the website and draw more traffic here.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »
(Keep in mind the difference between 1980 RPG layout, 1990s layout and early 21st century layout logic. . .those books have a lot of small type that goes all the way to the margins, so they're longer than you'd think looking at them without opening them.)

Sure (which I prefer, actually), although I still doubt it'd be as big as the RMSS core book and it had Campaign Law in it as well. RMC Character law is the core of the RMC game and is in more modern layout and is significantly shorter than the RMSS book. Of course, people do sell big books -- Pathfinder, for example, is a big book -- but the surprising beauty of RM2/C, for me, is how relatively few rules there actually are (although we should bear in mind that Spell Law, in particular, had some additional rules).

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 11:09:52 PM »
2CI or II (leaning toward I)

A completely new version might get me interested in buying new books altogether, but right now, I'm looking for stuff to use as I build my new group.  New books, though, with newer presentation might just be what I need to sell my group on the idea.

Splitting Arms Law and Spell law is okay, keeps things neat and organized, so long as we don't end up with 3 versions of the same book with large chunks repeated.  And that's why I waver between I and II.  Some repetition is okay, but to expect us to buy the same last 25% of the book three times over is just irritating.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »

RM2, which is presumably what you're describing as "detailed and rich", came in three pretty small books plus a small Creatures and Treasures book.

Did it come in small books...I recall loads of companions. ;-)
We would especially be talking about very many books if we include the MERP and Shadow World books that I think played a big part in making the game feel rich.
/Pa Staav

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 07:57:51 PM »
So, I counted a solid vote (where you selected only one option in the group) as 3 points and a mixed vote (where you selected more than one option) as 2 points for each of those options.

Fairly definitive overall results from those of us who replied.

For all the votes up to Tolen...

49 Points = 3)  You would like to see and likely purchase any new products or version of Rolemaster (assuming you liked them/it). (The range, not duplicating votes, would have been 15-17)
28 Points = 2)  You are a Rolemaster user who purchases additional products that come out simply to integrate into your preferred or customized version of Rolemaster. (The range, not duplicating votes, would have been 8-10)
5 Points = 1)  You are a Rolemaster user who feels that you really have everything you need to play the game and aren't too concerned with what will be published in the future. (The range, no duplicated votes, 5)

53 Points = C)  One mid sized core book that contains the primary rules of the game with separate arms and spell books. (The range, not duplicating votes, would have been 15-19)
15 Points = D)  One small core book that has a slimmed down version of Rolemaster with various expansion books adding official or optional materials to the system. (The range, not duplicating votes, would have been 3-6)
12 Points = B)  One large core book that has what is considered the most widely universal materials with optional materials published in followup books. (The range, not duplicating votes, would have been 2-5)
3 Points = A)  One huge core book that contains "everything" you need to play Rolemaster. (The range, no duplicated votes, 1)

47 Points = II)  You don't mind some duplicated materials. (The range, not duplicating votes, would have been 15-16)
20 Points = I)   You don't want to see any duplicated materials. You'd rather flip though multiple books when researching all possible options within a topic. (The range, not duplicating votes, would have been 6-7)
15 Points = III) You like the idea of duplicated materials as it will be easier to keep all information contained in one place - so expansion books should repeat some info.[/b] (The range, not duplicating votes, would have been 5)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »
Put me down for 3BII