Author Topic: Revision Setup Poll (split from "Cutting the revision knot").  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Revision Setup Poll (split from "Cutting the revision knot").
« on: January 15, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
I hesitated to post this poll, because I know some things just aren't realistic (like one giant book) but I'm curious what the overall results will be.

People also need to realize that those of us on the board are, as I've said before, not the typical customer.  We're the ones that follow the system/company, come to the board to discuss them, sometimes quite energetically. :D  So it's possible the results of this would be of questionable use.  But I'm doing it anyhow.

Also, let me say a couple things regarding business and marketing... on the business side, one huge core book is not going to be popular with an RPG company because it eliminates much of the future profitability of the system and is logistically problematic. On the marketing side it's not going to be popular with a majority of customers because the cost of such a book is going to be much less attractive - like it or not there is an auto-response in most customers that will balk at the large price of a single book vs a few more reasonably priced ones (even if they add up to more than the expensive core one).  As much as I hate the lack of insight most customers shop that way - it's a KNOWN fact as a result of many marketing studies.  Thus, you will probably never see option "A)" below.  So, if you're tempted to answer that way, you might consider that it's very unlikely a game company would do such a thing and select what your next best option is.  I'm not saying "Don't even bother answering A)".  I'm not an ICE representative and this isn't some official company poll, so you are more than welcome to still have that opinion... but it's really not a realistic option for a business trying to make a profit.

Lastly, keep in mind two of the most important reasons for a new version would surely be to try and bring the RM2+/RMSS+ crowds together AND pull in new customers.  Try to keep your answers, if you say more than just a number and letter, fairly short.  We can discuss this in major detail in the thread(s) that already exist.

I have been unable to figure out how to create an official poll for some reason, so you'll just need to give a number and letter for your answer.

1)  You are a Rolemaster user who feels that you really have everything you need to play the game and aren't too concerned with what will be published in the future.
2)  You are a Rolemaster user who purchases additional products that come out simply to integrate into your preferred or customized version of Rolemaster.
3)  You would like to see and likely purchase any new products or version of Rolemaster (assuming you liked them/it).

A)  One huge core book that contains "everything" you need to play Rolemaster.
B)  One large core book that has what is considered the most widely universal materials with optional materials published in followup books.
C)  One mid sized core book that contains the primary rules of the game with separate arms and spell books.
D)  One small core book that has a slimmed down version of Rolemaster with various expansion books adding official or optional materials to the system.

Oh, should add...

I)   You don't want to see any duplicated materials. You'd rather flip though multiple books when researching all possible options within a topic.
II)  You don't mind some duplicated materials.
III) You like the idea of duplicated materials as it will be easier to keep all information contained in one place - so expansion books should repeat some info.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:45:13 PM by Cory Magel »
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Revision Setup Poll (split from "Cutting the revision knot").
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 01:22:04 PM »
3CII

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:32:14 PM »
2-c/d-II

I like this style of poll.....

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »
3BII

Though I'm not sure the playable in one volume version + complete character law, arms law, spell law, and GM law volumes model I'm suggesting is properly represented in your poll.

The closest thing at present would be RMfrp + Rolemaster Standard Rules + Arms Law + Spell Law but RMfrp is a touch crippled for my tastes.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 02:27:17 PM »
 1,2,3 B/C I

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »
2)  You are a Rolemaster user who purchases additional products that come out simply to integrate into your preferred or customized version of Rolemaster.

I'm not saying that I would never buy a new version of Rolemaster, but it certainly is not a must-buy for me. More RMSS/FRP material would be much more likely to get my dollars.

C)  One mid sized core book that contains the primary rules of the game with separate arms and spell books.

Preferably with combat explained in the new Arms Law (with the Rolemaster rules, not "how to use without Rolemaster" - I think that's unlikely to get much response any more, and would better be done as "how to use Arms Law with..." free PDF downloads) and spell-casting in the new Spell Law to make more room in the core book to cover guidelines for changing things, making the "kit" aspect clear and providing help to make changes in a balanced and sensible way.

I)   You don't want to see any duplicated materials. You'd rather flip though multiple books when researching all possible options within a topic.

However, I recognize that this is not always possible, but should be kept to a minimum (if it gets to be more than a page or two, your design is probably flawed). If the core is thought out properly, all "common" material will be there.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline kustenjaeger

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:57:43 PM »
Greetings

Ideally 3BII though I think I could go for 3DII as well.

Regards

Edward

Offline dreameling

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 03:18:36 PM »
3BIII or 3CIII

Cannot really decide between options B and C. On the one hand, the universal vs. optional split is a really intuitive one. On the other hand, the primary rules vs. separate arms and spell rules split follows what we're used to with RM and is nicely compartmentalized to boot.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 08:56:54 PM »
Looks like I'm unusual, but 2DIII.  I'd rather have a really tight set of core rules on which many different games can be hung.  Which means there will likely be overlap across expansions.  Kinda like GURPS, but actually fun, and not broken.

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 09:04:08 PM »
2CII

I'd buy any new edition that was fairly similar to RMC (and I don't mind RMSS/FRP-type stuff as optional rules, which isn't really all that different to the RM2 + Companions case, except in RMSS/FRP the stuff was tuned to hang together, whereas in the RM2 days you have to judge things yourself. Which I didn't mind at all, to be honest).

Offline Chris Seal

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +200/-200
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »
3-C-III

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »
Nice work all, thank you all for keeping it short too.

There's actually a fairly standout selection at the moment.  So far 3CII is in the lead, but 2CII isn't far behind.

(Oh, and mine would probably be either 3CII or 3DII).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:06:50 PM by Cory Magel »
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 10:53:18 PM »
I should add that my 2CII could sort-of be a 3CII, but it'd be so contingent on the new version looking like my preferred RM2/C version that I suspect there will be a version war of disturbing proportions associated with it, so I opted for the "preferred version" option. I bet some other people feel the same way (about their preferred version, be it RM2/C or RMSS/FRP).

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 11:04:45 PM »
Poll function was previously blocked on all boards except for member polls.  As I'd rather see the polls in the sections where the topic fits, I've opened up creation of polls to all users on all boards. Thanks for pointing out the issue.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »
Well, I won't lead another version war.  I'll walk away instead.  Even the fairly civil discussion that's gone on since the announcement bring a taste of bile to my mouth.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »
I'd suggest posting this as three polls. . .as the poll system won't allow for a tri-vector poll.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 11:08:15 PM »
Poll function was previously blocked on all boards except for member polls.  As I'd rather see the polls in the sections where the topic fits, I've opened up creation of polls to all users on all boards. Thanks for pointing out the issue.

I'm going to go ahead and leave this poll as is for now.  I've got a method for counting votes that lean more than one way.  Once it's been a few days I'll explain how I counted them up.

I'd like to see those who are "officially" involved with RM weigh in purely from the perspective that they were still just a customer if they are willing.  If you don't want to do it publicly send your answer to Marc R and I'll add them in.
- Cory Magel

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »
 IMHO there may be an advantage with not keeping a running tally on the topic. It may actually prevent problems.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 03:22:43 AM »
3CII

Though if I were a newbie, seeing it reviewed, it would be a different answer.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 03:55:05 AM »
3CII