Author Topic: Feint  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Feint
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »
A popular tactic with Sword-n-Dagger was to swap from parrying with the dagger and attacking with the sword, to parrying with the sword to attack with the dagger. . .which could easily be done with normal one hand combat rules to switch back and forth. . .but the feint benefit inherent in that swap-n-swap is absent in the rules. . .

Also, rather than dual attack, generally two weapon attacks vs one weapon one weapon was used primarily to parry, deflect and control the enemy weapon, while you stab or slash them with the other. . .which is exactly the full OB right hand/Full DB left hand scenario which the rules as is specifically are written to stop.

I think HARP actually distinguished the dual weapon attack method from the two weapon attack method.

I have spent pretty much time with two weapons in LARP combat, and the difficulty of TWC is very much that you can't have attention on more than one weapon at each moment. You can do practiced standard moves with your secondary weapon, but for the second weapon you must depend on lots of repetitive training for it to be of any use. The effectivity of TWC comes from that you can change what weapon that is the primary weapon and get a surprise attack. It is harder to use your off hand to parry with, but it is small thing compared to everything else that make combat hard to learn.

That feinting aspect of TWC, or at least, misdirecting someone to one weapon to use the other, isn't really covered well in RM, in either one or TWC. . .

A certain degree of deception and misdirection should be assumed to be part of the OB/DB split, but it's very abstract. . . .but the fact it's already kind of included in the base concept makes it hard to simulate when you use it more than in the "it's kinda part of the whole OB/DB" thing. . .

I was never really 100% happy with the RM2 skill method either.

Anyone ever come to a really good feint method?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Feint
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:22:28 PM »
Have never thought about it much.

Off the cuff....some sort of manoeuvre to reduce the opponent's parry?

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:42:40 AM »
To me feinting was always covered by the OB and should not be represented via a separate skill. I mean, if you use a separate skill for feinting, what comes next, a skill for parrying? Welcome to the skill bloat...

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 12:51:07 AM »
Either skill bloat, or "split your weapon skill 3 ways to cover feint. . .then 4 to cover watching for feint". . .

Never came up with an answer that didn't create even more of a mess myself. . .

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 03:51:57 AM »
 Or you use Combat Styles that have to add the feinting maneuver or leave it out. Yes this gets around the over all skill bloat but adds to combat skills being more detailed then in the basic game now. In fact in RMSS if you use a combo of the Mac and CC you can remove a lot of skills and have them be just combat style maneuvers or abilities.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 04:55:45 AM »
We use the feint maneuvre for the combat style system presented in CC and it works out pretty well. It is rarely used though as maneuvres are 100% actions and you cannot parry as part of a maneuvre unless it is specificly stipulated in the maneuvres text.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:52:46 AM »
To me feinting was always covered by the OB and should not be represented via a separate skill. I mean, if you use a separate skill for feinting, what comes next, a skill for parrying? Welcome to the skill bloat...

Exactly.    Let's then add a skill for stabbing, thrusting, swinging, etc.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
That feinting aspect of TWC, or at least, misdirecting someone to one weapon to use the other, isn't really covered well in RM, in either one or TWC. . .

I would say the chance to score two criticals is a very much a model of how two weapons will be used for misdirection. At the end of the day weapons is about pointy stick goes into enemy, if you remove the misdirection aspect of using TWC then there is very little reason why you should be able to get more critcals from using TWC.

Anyone ever come to a really good feint method?

I have a houserule for it that I think works acceptable
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=6953
/Pa Staav

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »
I disagree with feint skill as a hwole, but try this:

Feint requires 20% activity.  Roll d100, add feint skill, subtract foes OB.  Positive results are added to feinters OB.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »
The drag on combat speed of adding another roll-table look up to every attack ended up being the main reason we ditched using feint as an active concept, and folded it back into being assumed to be part of the skill that goes into the OB/DB declaration.