Author Topic: Hiding Stat Bonuses  (Read 1847 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hiding Stat Bonuses
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:15:27 AM »
 This is a branch of the thread in the General section on High/Low Mental or Social Stats.

My question is; how would you hide your stat bonuses? Would you allow someone to switch their bonus with up to a negative of it? ie simply multiply it by -1, so a +10 becomes a -10 or anywhere in between.

Or would you use a skill, such as acting to fool people?

Also can you detect for people of a specific stat value? ie you have the stat bonus of a person but not have them mind stored or any other such thing. Can you simply detect for that persons stat bonus? Or can you detect for a series of stat bonuses as it is much more likely to be unique to them?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Hiding Stat Bonuses
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 07:29:09 AM »
That is the strangest and most incomprehendable post you have ever made, imo.

It is also a meta gaming question.  You have no idea what someones "stat bonus" is cuz in the "real world" that our imaginary NPC's live in, there is no such thing.

Would a PC ever need to know a NPC's sta mod?  No.  The GM may influence an esttimate by the player according to the NPC's description, i.e. very muscular, bright and alert look, etc.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 08:18:19 AM »
I agree with yammahoper.  I don't think a Character would know a stat bonus... a Player should, but not a Character.  :-X

If you wanted someone to physically  appear weak instead of strong I would say that might be an illusion of some sort.

If you wanted someone to appear stupid instead of brilliant then” Acting”? maybe?  :o

If you wanted someone to appear as if they didn’t have any Self-discipline then Acting again?

If you wanted someone to appear slow physically...Acting?

If you wanted to hide someone’s magical prowess based on the 3 realm stats I would say some type of spell akin to "Un-presence" that would hide their "REAL" power??

There is a spell that makes someone appear more powerful than they really are.  I would say you could flip that same spell and make someone appear less powerful than they really are :)

Just my 2-cents,  :)
Drev
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:49:53 AM »
Perhaps a really good Awarenes-Senses or Observation could tell you that the person is just acting like they are limping but aren't really hurt.

This post makes me think of the new Sherlock Holmes movie. In a quick glance, he can tell almost anything about a person.
For someone like this, you might want to fake a "stat bonus". But someone like that could probably tell, anyway.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 10:19:24 AM »
  ;D Sorry for the lat night or early morning crazy post.  :) 

What I was trying to say was the following:

1) as was pointed out here,
Most people with a high Presence have the ability to turn the attention-getting aspect on or off at will. It isn't simply a matter of appearance, it is a matter of behavior and detecting high Presence when not in use is probably about as easy as detecting Usain Bolt's insane Quickness bonus if you just met him standing around at a party. Many such individuals turn it up just to enter a room, but professional performers may transform when they get on stage or a politician or preacher when he gets ready to address a crowd.

Can you hide you high Pr bonus or turn it off?

2) Detecting Stats:
 While posting I was thinking above the Battle Tec "if you make your sensor roll hand you sheet to your opponent for X amount of time" or in RM something beyond the you get race, level, profession.
 But no problem I will make up a spell if this situation arises or allow a spell to be SM to allow it.

Thanks All
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 10:25:58 AM »
I think that if you met napoleon for 5 sec, sold him a loaf of bread, that you might not notice his high PR.

If he shows up to a 2 hour meeting with you, and discusses a wide range of topics, I think you would notice, unless he had the acting or duping skill to cover for it.

Much like it's easy to play dumb for a short time, but it's hard to hide the fact you're smarter and playing dumb from someone over an extended interview (assuming the other person isn't a non observant doof).
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:32:17 AM »
I personally don't think that a high presence is able to be turned off and on at will - without some acting skill or the like. There are numerous people that just draw others to them without being particularly good-looking (though, I don't think that has ever hurt), so that when they just walked into the room, you knew and when they talked to you, you found yourself nodding* - even if you don't agree with their point of view. It isn't a conscious act, just how they are.

So, unless the individual is actively trying to keep from being noticed / blend into the background socially, they are constantly projecting their high presence and everyone they meet is affected. (Whether good or bad.) How they hide it is up to the GM/system, but acting or even shadowing might be good ways to go.

As for how to detect another individuals "stat mods" I think the best you can get is sharply defined definitions like: very strong, extremely stupid, beautiful, slow as a slug in the winter, etc... That is the best way to go with that, I think.

*I am not saying that they change your mind completely, just an immediate affect of being in their presence. After the fact, unless they successfully got you to agree to their point of view, you are likely to go back to you own.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 12:28:43 PM »
RandalThor;
 Thanks that is what I was asking. I know from somewhere that it was said you could detect a Ninja as they could not control their reflexes and simply moved out of the way of "problems". So that Gardener who seemed to flow away from the roof as it crashed down and ended up 15' away. Is probably more than he seems.

Thanks again
MDC   
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 08:48:52 AM »
Yeah, a ninja who took the punch while undercover would be skilled, indeed.
GM: "Your Acting and Flim Flam Maneuver roll has to be over your Adrenal Defense. Otherwise, I rule that you dodge." :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 12:34:39 AM »
Another problematical aspect of this is if you consider Presence to be appearance, personality, or both.  One of the reasons I like a physical and a 'personality' split in stats.  Appearance you really can't hide without some form of disguise efforts.  Personality you can with skills (such as duping).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Online rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 01:00:00 AM »
Are we trying to mimic reality or fictional reality? According to Hollywood, men will not notice that a woman is drop dead gorgeous if she wears glasses and a slightly unflattering hairstyle.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 01:17:24 AM »
Another problematical aspect of this is if you consider Presence to be appearance, personality, or both.  One of the reasons I like a physical and a 'personality' split in stats.  Appearance you really can't hide without some form of disguise efforts.  Personality you can with skills (such as duping).

I agree 100%
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 12:40:47 AM »
As long as you don't get drawn into any lengthy discussions, faking your mental stats are fairly easy imho.
Play it low and stay in the background.