Author Topic: Gen Con 2014  (Read 21591 times)

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Gen Con 2014
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »
Hi all,

Registration opened today. So who is going? The Mrs. and I will be there.

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Gen Con 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »
I'd love to go, but this year it doesn't look good for me.
If anyone who is going is interested in running some ICE sessions, please let us know.  We'll see what can be done to provide prizes for your sessions.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:25:41 AM »
Well, I have hotel room reserved (outside the housing process) a couple blocks away and will be buying my badge before event tickets go on sale.  If things go south between then and now I can still back out... but I'm fairly sure I'll be there this year.

My backup plan was not needed, so... just FYI... if anyone is willing to pay $300 a night for a full on two bedroom condo (nice one from the looks of it) about 3-4 blocks from the convention let me know and I'll PM you the info (no promises on if it is still available).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:13:15 PM »
And as soon as the housing rush began it was snatched up!
(Why I always reserve far ahead and outside of the housing process).
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 12:43:52 AM »
Yeah, the housing snatch-up went fast - is one day a record?
I'm planning on attending this year but if its going to be bursting-at-the-seams crowded...
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:46:32 AM »

That's why we saved up our $ and held on to our VIG pass all these years. Amazing ...

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »
Oh yes, one day is definitely a record.  GenCon has now outgrown Indy and it's stuck there for another six years.  It's been growing significantly over the last few years.  Maybe the aging table-top RPG crowd can now more afford to attend! :)
- Cory Magel

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
That's why we saved up our $ and held on to our VIG pass all these years. Amazing ...
I just can't picture myself spending the money on that.  If I can get a hotel within a 2-4 blocks I can't see it benefiting me much...
What is it you're getting out of it that makes it worth it to you?
- Cory Magel

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:22:58 AM »
I just can't picture myself spending the money on that.  If I can get a hotel within a 2-4 blocks I can't see it benefiting me much...
What is it you're getting out of it that makes it worth it to you?

Three main things - 1) guaranteeing our choice of hotel (compared to the mayhem experienced by the attendees this year for example),  as we need to be close; 2), the lounge (wonderful being able to plop and grab a drink in between events) and 3) the early vendor room admission on Thursday (avoid the crowds for an hour at least).
On top of that is some swag, lounge-specific events and wanting my wife to have the best event possible. :)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 03:51:32 PM »
I've got a ticket for myself, my wife, my daughter and my niece.  That and a room at one of the attached hotels (way more convenient with a munchkin to deal with).

I don't know about running anything, but I'm certainly looking to get into a HARP or RMU game this year.

Surprisingly enough getting a room was pretty easy for us this year.  But we knew exactly which room and hotel we wanted and were in the system within two minutes of it opening.  Some years have been much worse for booking a room for me.

If Gen Con outgrows Indy, the only place left in the midwest with more convention space is Chicago - and I don't look forward to dealing with that kind of traffic and expense.
-Pyrotech

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 04:31:01 PM »
Chicago has the convention space and the hotels... but I hate their airport with a passion.  I have never, ever, been through O'hare without a problem.
- Cory Magel

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Maybe a new thread should be started, "Where should Gen Con be moved to in the Mid West?".

I think a few people might vote for Colorado based on some of the changes in the laws recently.  But it would be nice if they could get some support for other events and expand on the facilities that they have there.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 10:07:45 PM »
My recommendation would be Charlotte, NC.  The exhibition space is significantly more than Indianapolis, the environment is very collegiate, good hotel access, and reasonably good airport access.

Of course, if you were going to consider Chicago, why not consider Dallas?  Though I think both would be bad choices as the cities are too large to have the right feel for GenCon - but then again, I haven't gone in a number of years and I've never gone to Indy for it (so that gives you an idea of how long ago it was...)
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »
I'm hoping to make it again this year, but am not sure yet.  Had a great time last year and my wife is telling me I should try to go again (not sure if it is because she wants me out of the house for a few days or simply because she knows I enjoyed it last year).  Have a bathroom repair/remodel that that we need to get done this spring, but if that doesn't cost too much and I don't burn up too much vacation time working on it, I'm still hoping to be able to go. 

But due to other time commitments, don't think I'm going to be able to run a series of intro events for RMU like I did last year.  So if anyone else is planing on running anything RM/SM related let me know and I'll try to sign up. 

If time permits though I may try to modify a bunch of my old one-shot adventures set in the Channel Cities over to the new RMU rules (if the next version of the beta rules out in time to do so) and just run them as one-shot events (instead of having 6 groups go through the same adventure and awarding points for scores with a prize).  But with those types of events I would probably need to limit the party size to a small number (3-4), which is far from ideal for GenCon, due to how such things are handled there.

But at the same time I want to try to have more free time to wander around the halls and possibly participate in some games this year.  Didn't get to see everything I was hoping to last year due to the time committed to what I ran last year, and if it is that much bigger this year I'm almost thinking I'd have to reduce the time running games substantially. 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 07:00:29 AM »
Received an email this morning from GenCon Events with information about demo-tables on Sunday and the deadline for submissions being this Friday (March 14th).  It was stating that if an event isn't submitted by then that there is no guarantee that space will be available due to the increase in demand this year.  Here is a link to their forum announcement of the same info: http://community.gencon.com/forums/p/33052/366052.aspx?utm_source=Event+Organizers+%26+Gamemasters&utm_campaign=ef98875c71-20120808.EMAIL&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0aead95039-ef98875c71-313086153#366052

While I'd love to run games again, I won't be able to get anything organized that quickly I don't think (especially since I don't even know for sure if I'm going yet).  And in case others were not aware of this, you can actually have your ticket or get a reimbursement towards a room by running games (if you run enough).  Last year (not sure about previous years), each one-hour of player time (each player, so a full group of 6 run for 4 hours resulted in 24 "points")  that you ran counted towards that, with I think it was 60 hours of time resulting in a small partial reimbursement or 100 hours would cover the entire weekend badge cost, with more credit for higher number of hours GMing.

But on that note, ICE/GCP may want to consider trying to submit something for getting (up to 3) tables for demo-ing their games with anyone who can attend possibly contributing some time towards that effort on Sunday (if I go I'd be willing to contribute time towards that effort, so keep me in the loop if something like that is organized). 

Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 08:13:54 AM »
I would certainly cover any direct costs for people who want to run games, plus provide goodies.  I could lock down a couple tables and we see if anyone wants to demo, if I can give them back at some point in the near future if we cant fill. let me see what the details are.
Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 08:19:10 AM »
Hrrrmmm...not as easy as that. you have to submit a proper event and have it accepted. so it really does mean someone needs to know what they want to GM now.
Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 08:39:14 AM »
My wife had been telling me to just plan on going, despite my reluctance due to cost of our bathroom remodel.  But I'll talk to her about it and see if I can commit to something.  As far as things to run, I've got so many different adventures/missions/encounters for my setting (especially for the Channel Cities portion of it) for use with Rolemaster over the last 25+ years that it wouldn't take much for me to have something prepared.  If time permitted I have several ideas for HARP-SF also, but would need time to detail those (and time seems to be in very short supply the last few years).

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »
I'll be there. I would be happy to submit and run an hour-long RM event or 2.

John (et al), is there something you'd want to have GMs promote/use if folks did this? Would you want us to use the Beta, or Shadow World source material? Happy to cater an event to what you'd like to see... 
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 09:06:45 AM »
So is something being organized?  I sent a PM to you John about being able to run some events along with an outline of an idea I had, but haven't heard anything back regarding it.  Since the deadline is today to get such things submitted, please let those of us who can spare some time know if it is a go or not. 

If others might be interested in running this same idea, it would probably take 2 or 3 hour time slots to do so from what I'm guessing from last years experience with a more involved storyline and encounters.  And I can provide the details to anyone else who might be interested in running additional sessions of it, if this is a go. 

I'll post an updated version of the outline I put together:

I am proposing running a flexible event set in the Channel Cities setting.  I will have several pre-generated characters available for players to choose from for the event as well as starting the event out in a tavern, from which several different potential adventures will present themselves where it will be up to the players to decide which short “adventure” they wish to pursue.  My thoughts are to run this using the new RMU rule-set (if the next iteration of the rules are ready far enough in advance for me to prepare), however if not or if there is interest I can also run it using HARP, RMC and/or RMSS/FRP, or possibly sessions of each. 

Characters will be 5th level with several possible adventures for them to pursue based on their decision from what is presented while in one of the local taverns that evening:
•   Vile Terror- Rumors of people disappearing or being violently ripped apart by a strange creature spotted on the rooftops, followed by someone entering having just seen the creature.
•   Kidnappers- characters overhear a discussion by a couple of kidnappers about the ransom that they are hoping to receive from a merchant for his daughter who is being held in a nearby “abandoned” building. 
•   Recover stolen goods- characters will hear a patron sitting at the bar talking with the barkeep about an item that was stolen from him by some thieving ruffians that he wants recovered but that he doesn’t know anyone with such subterfuge and infiltration skills. 
•   Shadowy Delivery- If the characters are not “noble” enough to step up and deal with any of the above, then they will be approached (hired) by a shadowy figure (someone in a hooded cloak) to deliver an item to someone else, but this task turns out to not be as simple as it sounds… 

With a target of 3-4 characters chosen from a group of 5th lvl pre-gens, to provide a more personal game than is typical with large numbers of players.  Characters available to choose from will include the following (most of the same from last year’s event):

Half-orc magent (daggers/thrown daggers, subterfuge, subterfuge spells, disguise)

Half-elf fighter (scimitar & shield combo, long bow, combat expertise skills, subterfuge)

Sylvan elf thief (dual daggers- ambidextrous, thrown daggers, subterfuge, mechanical, adrenal defense)

Common man magician (spells (broad assortment of base, open and closed lists), quarterstaff)

Mixed man rogue (short sword & dagger combo-ambidextrous, stealth)

Halfling fighter (dual short swords-ambidextrous, daggers, disarm, subterfuge, highest Hits)

Dark elf monk (martial arts, adrenal skills, movement and discipline related spells)

Sibbicai dabbler (natural attacks (claw, bite), subterfuge, spells (subterfuge, mechanics, movement)))

Gnome sorcerer (spells)