Author Topic: Innate Caster clarification  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Chris Seal

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +200/-200
Innate Caster clarification
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »
Hi there,

Apologies if this has been answered before, my google-fu is weak and I wasn't able to find it.

I am planning on running an encounter with a few Daedhel, elf demons and note that they are Innate Casters able to cast levels 1-5 of the Sorcerer base lists. They are not given any Power Points however. As I understand it, this means that they can cast any of the spells on the sorcerer base lists (levels 1-5) an unlimited number of times per day. Is this interpretation correct?

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Chris

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Innate Caster clarification
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:56:57 AM »
I would think 1x level in PP in line with the other two elf demons in the same block.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Chris Seal

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +200/-200
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:58:50 AM »
Thanks Lord Miller.

Much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:16:28 PM »
No, it is not correct. Innate Casters are usually given a specific number of power points (look at the other demon entries regarding Innate Casters, each gives a number of PP).

The last section on page 21 (i.e. Certain traits apply to "Innate Casters") makes it clear that Innate Casters are expected to have Power Points and use them (the first part of page 22 also makes it clear that these are not the same as "Realm PP" and that the PP pools are kept and handled completely separately.

Not sure why the Daedhel are not given a number of PP (i.e. I no longer remember why), but within the description for Elf-demons it specifically says that the Daedhel have Empathy and Intuition stats between 85 and 102.

So, for them, what you need to do is to determine what those stats are, and then average them together and determine how many PP it gets per level (anywhere from 1-4 PP per level).

Since 85 to 102 is an 18 point spread, just roll 2d10 (treating the zeros/tens as being worth zero to get a result between 00 and 18) and add the total to 85 to determine what each stat is.

[oRule]
Innate Casters always requires PP in order to use their innate spell abilities (i.e. spells from spell lists).

If a number of PP is not given, treat it as 1 PP/lvl unless the descriptive text says otherwise (such as in the case of the Daedhel, where they are given a stat range).
[/oRule]

Offline Chris Seal

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +200/-200
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 12:26:15 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Rasyr,

Cheers
Chris

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:35:39 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Rasyr,

No problem...

Online rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »
85+18 = 103
85-102 is indeed spans 18 numbers, but 2d10 spans 19 numbers, so does not match up.
Math. It's what's for dinner.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »
85+18 = 103
85-102 is indeed spans 18 numbers, but 2d10 spans 19 numbers, so does not match up.
Math. It's what's for dinner.

:P

I was in a hurry (had to go pick up my wife from work...)  Oopsie..

rerolls any results of zero, and add the result to 84 instead of 85. All good...  :D