Author Topic: Making Rolemaster Better!  (Read 21515 times)

Offline Akrasia

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Devout Epicurean
    • DailyAkrasia
Re: Making Rolemaster Better!
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 02:11:19 AM »
I think that there is a demand for a 'simulationist' game like Rolemaster out there that currently is not being adequately met.  (In contrast, I would describe both 3e D&D and 4e D&D as very 'gamist' in nature.)  It will always be a 'minority taste' amongst RPGers, but there is no reason why Rolemaster could not be the choice for such gamers.

My recommendation would be to revise RMC (drawing on RMSS and HARP) in ways that retain those things that make the game unique (critical charts, development points, spell lists, etc.), but minimize the book-keeping and math involved.  In other words, maintain the game's strengths but reduce those things that act as barriers to new players.  Anything that might speed up character creation, especially for new players (e.g. training packages), would be a good idea (at least as optional rules that more experienced players could skip).  Perhaps even a set of 10-20 pre-generated PCs that new players could use (like those included in MERP 2nd edition).

Above all else: have a single core book that is clearly written, well-organized, and accessible.  Something like RMX, but more complete.  A hardcover of about 200 pages would be great.  Additional rule books should be 'modular', i.e., rules expansions that can be added to the core as different groups choose, but in ways that don't create incompatibilities.

As for settings, I don't think Shadow World is going to bring in any new players.  I own two different atlases for SW, and it is not very friendly to people new to the setting.  Cyradon is great (and I'm looking forward to RM Cyradon), but it sets things up for new campaigns in a very narrow way (the PCs are all refugees in Belynor, or allies of the refugees).  A core setting needs to be more flexible and open with respect to campaigns and campaign styles, IMO.

Given the 'simulationist' nature of RM (very gritty combat, relatively low-powered magic at low-mid levels, etc.), I would think that it would be well-served by a setting that was somewhat 'realistic' in nature, that is, something like 'Harn' instead of 'Eberron'.  The system would do a good job at supporting such a setting.  (I've always thought that Rolemaster was not the best system for Shadow World for this reason.)  Some adventures to support the setting are essential (even if only available on-line).   

In summary: (a) an accessible, single core book that includes options to get new players gaming as soon as possible; (b) modular additional books that don't introduce incompatibilities; and (c) a default setting that plays to the system's strengths (gritty, 'realist', etc.).
Akrasia: literally, "bad mixture", the Greek term for the character flaw of incontinence or weakness of the will, the condition in which an agent is unable to perform actions that are known to be right.

Offline skathros!

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2008, 11:48:45 PM »
Above all else: have a single core book that is clearly written, well-organized, and accessible.  Something like RMX, but more complete.  A hardcover of about 200 pages would be great.  Additional rule books should be 'modular', i.e., rules expansions that can be added to the core as different groups choose, but in ways that don't create incompatibilities.

While reading this thread, this is exactly what I was thinking Akrasia

I think the 1 core rule-book should really be a full rule-book. I mean the rule-book should have all the rules for playing RM. If there is space/page count considerations, i'd rather see races and classes cut to the iconic minimum as opposed to cutting the rules and offering them in an upcoming supplement.

A unified task resolution system would be nice, at least for things not combat related.

Also, the book(s) need to look good  ;) RMC is a great example of this. When my gaming buddies came over, they saw my RMC books on the shelf. After oogling the awesome looking covers, they quickly began flipping through the books. A great cover is a wonderful hook to get people to look at RM, countering any  bias or misconception they might have about the game due to years of the game being dubbed overly complex.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 12:53:20 AM »
I think that there is something that you all are missing in this discussion of updating/revamping RM: image. I, for one, love to see/own good-looking books. The appearance of a book - particularly one that I have no knowledge of to begin with - will draw my eye and my hand. Now, I like RM, but you have some of the worst looking books out there. The monster book should be full of great images of creatures (some color), not just charts of stats.

I know, you all are going to be like: "well that doesn't do anything about rules and stuff." But I am here to tell you that there would be more people looking into RM and very likely playing RM on a regular basis if the books were better looking. My hope is that RM/SM gets so popular that all the ICE staff (plus more hires) could quit their "regular" jobs and completely support themselves with the game, that is truly my hope (it is a selfish hope as I want you all to be working on the game FULL TIME to put out more products....for me - oh, and others, of course  ;D). But I am sure that is not going to happen until the regular fan/player base for RM/SM increases by significant amounts, and I am sure one thing standing in the way is image.

There is a whole industry based on creating and projecting images for clients, there wouldn't be if it wasn't important. The first thing that most humans do is see something. That will dictate all further interaction.

Just my own opinion. Well, gotta go back to work now.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2008, 09:09:29 AM »
I think that there is something that you all are missing in this discussion of updating/revamping RM: image. I, for one, love to see/own good-looking books. The appearance of a book - particularly one that I have no knowledge of to begin with - will draw my eye and my hand. Now, I like RM, but you have some of the worst looking books out there. The monster book should be full of great images of creatures (some color), not just charts of stats.

I know, you all are going to be like: "well that doesn't do anything about rules and stuff." But I am here to tell you that there would be more people looking into RM and very likely playing RM on a regular basis if the books were better looking. My hope is that RM/SM gets so popular that all the ICE staff (plus more hires) could quit their "regular" jobs and completely support themselves with the game, that is truly my hope (it is a selfish hope as I want you all to be working on the game FULL TIME to put out more products....for me - oh, and others, of course  ;D). But I am sure that is not going to happen until the regular fan/player base for RM/SM increases by significant amounts, and I am sure one thing standing in the way is image.

There is a whole industry based on creating and projecting images for clients, there wouldn't be if it wasn't important. The first thing that most humans do is see something. That will dictate all further interaction.

Just my own opinion. Well, gotta go back to work now.

Actually, I think this was mentioned (maybe not directly, but implied).  I could be wrong, though.  I do agree, however.  I mean, eye candy does bring the crowd and, as may have been stated, creates a fury for a short while.  But if the book looks good but the game doesn't play well, you won't keep anyone's attention.

Important factor: keep D&D out of the equation here.  D&D operates on a different level of expectation.  The game stinks on several levels.  Everyone knows this on some level or another.  I mean, it's playable, but some people only play it because it's all they can find players for.  Seriously!  It's popularity is what keeps it popular and alive.

But Rolemaster has had the same fans for 20+ years for a reason.  That reason is that the system has stood the test of time and people can become generally comfrotable with it.

Take this into account:
The conversations you generally hear over on the WotC boards involve how crappy the company is, how poorly edited the books are, and how people hate the people they play with.  On occasion you'll get a rules question but the default assumption by everyone else is that if you're asking the question you automatically think the new edition is crap, are a hold-out grognard who is simply trying to bash the new system, or are just some noob not worthy of anyone's time.  Either way the presenter of the question is blasted into oblivion for having the nerve to post.  How long can a customer base survive in that type of environment?  Well, if WotC had a "normal" property; not long. 

Now look at the conversations you have on boards like ICE or SJGames:
You get topics like this that maturely discuss the future of the game, topics that ask serious questions and get serious, well educated answers, and, rarely, questions about the state of the company that get addressed in a reasonable fashion.  Now, Rolemaster fans are passionate and tend to defend their stance accordingly.  That's a long a glorious tradition going back to the old Grey Worlds magazine.  But they still manage to carry themselves with far more civility and respect than 90% of the average D&D board poster.

But bottom line is this: and this is important, companies like ICE can't treat themselves like WotC.  They simply don't have the time, money, or resoucres to shovel as much fuel into the fire as companies like WotC.  They have to take the slow and steady approach rather than the "release as many products as you can so that you make as much money as you can in a short time because you know it is only a matter of time before everyone realizes your product is crap and stops buying at which time you just admit it was crap and release a new edition" approach.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 12:36:23 AM »
Actually, I think this was mentioned (maybe not directly, but implied).  I could be wrong, though.  I do agree, however.  I mean, eye candy does bring the crowd and, as may have been stated, creates a fury for a short while.  But if the book looks good but the game doesn't play well, you won't keep anyone's attention.

Chalk that up to my impatience.  :D

Important factor: keep D&D out of the equation here.  D&D operates on a different level of expectation.  The game stinks on several levels.  Everyone knows this on some level or another.  I mean, it's playable, but some people only play it because it's all they can find players for.  Seriously!  It's popularity is what keeps it popular and alive.

Funny thing: I wasn't thinking about D&D when talking about the image aspect. I was thinking about the Star Wars D6/Black Book. That is one great looking RPG book!! Though, thinking about it, I do love the Monster Manual I, it is a good-looking book, with lots of excellent creature images.

But Rolemaster has had the same fans for 20+ years for a reason.  That reason is that the system has stood the test of time and people can become generally comfrotable with it.

Which couldn't be hurt by the inclusion of good art and/or production.

Which I think could be multiplied many-fold.
But bottom line is this: and this is important, companies like ICE can't treat themselves like WotC.  They simply don't have the time, money, or resoucres to shovel as much fuel into the fire as companies like WotC.  They have to take the slow and steady approach rather than the "release as many products as you can so that you make as much money as you can in a short time because you know it is only a matter of time before everyone realizes your product is crap and stops buying at which time you just admit it was crap and release a new edition" approach.

I have never advocated they conduct themselves like WotC and never will. I only want the game to be popular enough that the designers can work on it as their primary profession, not a secondary one - provided it is what they want to do. That way we can get more products out per year (not necessarily one-a-week) and have more players to play with; I, for one, have not played in a steady RM/SM game in years (perhaps more than a decade, actually), and with no more than 2-3 others when I did.

The entirety of this concept is to get more people to look at the game. I believe if more people really gave the game a chance, they would like it and stick with it.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 06:17:05 AM »
The entirety of this concept is to get more people to look at the game. I believe if more people really gave the game a chance, they would like it and stick with it.

And I couldn't agree with you more on that respect.  ICE needs new exposure and exposure to a younger crowd.  The WotC players are over there devouring their own young by constantly and aggressively biting the hand that feeds them.  ICE fans are far more welcoming of new players and supportive of the hobby in general.  It's a sad reversal of popularity that D&D is at the top of the food chain.  Fate is cruel, I guess. ;)
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »
And I couldn't agree with you more on that respect.  ICE needs new exposure and exposure to a younger crowd.

Actually, no.
This thread is about making RM better, as in the topic line. There is another thread about making RM more popular.
That may be a splitting of hairs, but hey, I play Rolemaster, what did you expect?

EDIT: Which I cannot find now, figures...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:00:47 AM by Justin »
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008, 10:49:34 AM »
Quote from: Fiolnir
How can Rolemaster be tooled to appeal to a larger fan base?

That question sounds like improving sales, not the system to me. Which is very similar to another thread. Fiolnir, which were you asking? Rasyr, which were you anticipating seeing?

Justin, as you pointed out before, this thread is about both.

Exposure feeds sales.  Sales feed staff.  Staff feed R&D.  R&D feeds improvements.  Improvements feed more interest.  More interest feeds exposure.

No exposure starves sales.  No sales starves staff.  No staff starves R&D.  No R&D starves improvement.  No improvement starves interest.  No interest starves exposure.

It may be hard to determine where to begin in a circle like that, but it's easy to see how it's all interconnected.
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »
I didn't point it out, I was asking for clarification. Because while the two may impact each other in the cycle you already described, they are two seperate questions to me. What might make RM better may not make it sell better, and vice versa. It is then that The Makers of RM have to ask themselves which they choose.
But if I was a Maker and asked, "Hey, how do I make this game better?" I would want no restrictions on the ideas. I would want every idea which would make the game better, regardless of other impacts. Later, with the other Makers, I would consider things such as sales and popularity. You might temper your own suggestions because you see it as a fiscally poorer idea, robbing them of the pure intent of your idea. Just give it to them--let them sort the $$'s out.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »
I didn't point it out, I was asking for clarification.

Fair enough.  I see your point.  I suppose if I wanted to discuss the matter of exposure being healthy for the company I should refer to a different thread. 

But the subject that created that particular tagent of the discussion was still valid for this thread.  RandalThor suggested that a way to "retool Rolemaster to reach a wider fan base" (an aspect of the original post) was to "pretty" it up and make it more attractive to a wider fan base.  Discussions of how RM can be retooled don't need to be restricted to how the system is constructed, but also how the information is presented.  I think that's a valid core concept that RandalThor was attempting to address and I was simply reacting to that.
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »
and btw, I totally understand the offering of ideas to increase popularity, too. Also...

The artwork needs to be much better. :D
The quality is fine, but there needs to be more of it and updated. When I saw another book (I don't remember which, I was too new to RM back then to know the differences,) and it had the same cover art just in a red(?) boarder, I was like "wow, they so cheap they won't pay for new art?" Wasn't a good impression (thankfully, the first impression had already been made.)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2008, 12:43:55 PM »
How to make RMC better?
The rules are mostly fine and not much is needed.
The presentation is in need of improvement.
I love RM but it would be a nightmare to be a beginner.

You need to rewrite RMC again. A completely new rules book with no copying of the old texts.
A total reorganisation of the rules.
Clarification and maybe some small alterations to stat based maneuver rolls.
More indepth description on movement.
Really make the skill list as complete as you want it to be and then pretty much leave it alone in later addons.
Get back to the old school graphics.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »
If a book stresses combat over character, it is moving the game away from the mantel of RPG and into wargames. I think every game(minus one) I have ever read could do this a bit better.

Quoting myself, this could be done better in RM as well. RM is hampered a bit by not having a world to color descriptions with, but none the less it could still be improved. With such a heavy mechanics system, a lot of text is already spent in details, combat or not.
For instance, take Profession descriptions. We get maybe a line or two saying "this prof prefers to sneak around and uses spells to elude enemies rather than face them in combat." Let's describe them a bit more. You could use phrases like "In a high-fantasy setting, these might be the people who would lean towards x" to keep from being setting-bound while colouring it up a bit.
Skills could use this attention too.

Offline Winterknight

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2008, 11:54:23 AM »
My opinions for improving RMC:

The Combat Companion was a huge leap forward.  Perhaps the best thing that's happened to RM in 20 years.  Now, you just need to do the same thing for Character Law and Spell Law.

Spell Law:
1) A whole new perspective could be opened if an Arcane Companion presented a system for spells that is the casters' equivalent of the combat styles system that is presented in the Combat Companion.  Lists become skills, casters able to cast up to the ranks the list is known.  DP cost determined (as in combat styles) based on the options you include in your list skill.  Features like increasing range, increasing damage or criticals, fumble reduction, base casting improvements, etc. are all add-ins that can be tweaked by type of list/spell.
2) Along with 1) above, get rid of some of the cheese in the spell lists.  Bolt 2 has twice the range of Bolt 1.  Seriously?  That's what I get for 4-6 more caster levels, and that many more spell points?
3) Along with the above, get rid of some of the gaping holes in the lists, or standardize the holes so that it's commonly understood.  If the cheese were eliminated, perhaps all lists could have common spell increments: levels 1-5 are filled, then additional spells are found at levels 7, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, etc. 
4) An option for 3) above would be to standardize everyone at 6 base lists, but allow the casters to use up to 4 more "sideboard" lists from open and closed to fill the holes in their base lists.  You can fill a hole with a lower level or equal spell.  I can't count the number of times players choose classes based on how full the lists look.

Character Law:
5) Smoothed stat distribution should be a given.  The +5 increment jumps always seemed to me as a way to compete with that "other" game system, to provide an easy conversion for smaller stat ranges.  RM players understand d100.  No reason to dumb it down.  Players, especially ones who manage to get stats into the 95+ range, ought to see a difference between 95 and 96, or 98 and 99.
6) The maneuver system as a core mechanic is fantastic, but whole sections should be dedicated on HOW to use it.  As a brilliant and talented GM, I've learned over the years how to work it.  For a newcomer, it looks like gobbledygook.  I second the suggestions above that there should be a standardized mechanic for non-skill based maneuvers using stat bonuses.  Again, I improvise, but that's with experience under my belt.
7) Better backgrounds and talents.  Talent Law was a great book, despite the fact that it was written for RMSS.
8) I'm a skill minimalist, let me say.  However, I recognize that there are folks who like to have more diversity, which is why RMSS/FRP appeal to some folks.  It seems to me that a system of Skill Disciplines could be implemented, that would be the skill equivalent of the combat styles.  Expand the basic skill list by no more than 5-10 skills to cover some additional core or aptitude skills, and then allow options to skill development that would increase the DP costs.  Features like in-depth specialization, generalized knowledge, aptitude affinity (for use with non-standard maneuvers), etc.

Arms Law:
7) The one thing that I think was still missing from the Combat Companion was a good discussion and method for handling exceptional attack rolls that break the chart or rank limit.  I have a way I plan to handle it (since it WILL come up), but that's me.  It's always nice to have a common ground with other players for these types of discussions, and rule canon is the best way to get that.
Ex post facto.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2008, 08:52:20 PM »
Sorry to cause all the controversy about what should be said on what list - I didn't see the other list.

As for rules stuff, I can only mention a couple of things for RMC as I play/run RMSS/RMFRP:

1. Do the classes more like HARP where you can switch at higher levels, I have never liked having to be locked into the professions so tightly. What if the GM wants to run you as a potential magician but you started out as a rogue or a fighter or whatever. Boy, buy up those spells with the 20 DP per spell per spell list per level with the same cost for Power Points that'll make you a great mage....in about 100 - 200 levels.

2. Spells/Spell-lists: How about have the spell lists be like magic-groups. You have Firelaw that you develop and you purchase - one time each - the individual spells under Firelaw and cast them with the Firelaw bonus. The number of ranks in Firelaw will dictate the specifics of the spell in question (like how far the Firebolt will go, or how long a fire shield will last).

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2008, 01:50:47 AM »
Oh boy, did you open a can of worms now... ;)
You just grabbed the sacred cow and flipped it on it's behind. lol.
I like the idea of changing professions as well but most people on this board seam to react very strongly against the idea.
Anywho... it's easy enough to implement but including it in the core rules would lead to a huge powercreep. Just think of all the munchkins... "hey, it's right here n p.xxx you can change profession" 5 levels as a fighter then all out mage... or something.
If you put it in writing it becomes available to "everyone".

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2008, 03:07:08 AM »
Spell Law:
1) A whole new perspective could be opened if an Arcane Companion presented a system for spells that is the casters' equivalent of the combat styles system that is presented in the Combat Companion.  Lists become skills, casters able to cast up to the ranks the list is known.  DP cost determined (as in combat styles) based on the options you include in your list skill.  Features like increasing range, increasing damage or criticals, fumble reduction, base casting improvements, etc. are all add-ins that can be tweaked by type of list/spell.

Cool idea! Don't know if it would be an easy thing to do but I like the concept.
Have an idea point  ;)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2008, 03:18:18 AM »
1. Do the classes more like HARP where you can switch at higher levels, I have never liked having to be locked into the professions so tightly. What if the GM wants to run you as a potential magician but you started out as a rogue or a fighter or whatever. Boy, buy up those spells with the 20 DP per spell per spell list per level with the same cost for Power Points that'll make you a great mage....in about 100 - 200 levels.

No, please don't. The possibility of changing class is a thing that never convinced me in class-based systems. I mean, what's the sense of having a class/profession if you can change it when you want? If you want to have characters that are not tied to any class just make it a profession-less system!
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2008, 06:07:10 AM »
Spell Law:

Cool idea! Don't know if it would be an easy thing to do but I like the concept.
Have an idea point  ;)

Do you guys mean something like this? http://www.wizlair.net/news.php?extend.41

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2008, 06:15:42 AM »
The only issue I see with 'multi-classing' is that the purpose of a Rolemaster 'profession' is a bit different that what most people think of as the classic 'character class.'  A profession in Rolemaster has sort of dual personality.  One one hand it defines what you do but on the other it defines what you're meant to do.  What I mean is that your profession defines a sort of aptitude in your character.  It defines what they're naturally capable of learning quickly or slowly as defined by interest and genetics.  

So, in many senses, a profession defines what you were born to do dictating what you learn even before you pick a career.  This is why skill development is still based on your profession skill costs during adolescent development.  All learning experiences are filtered through that predisposition to catch onto some things faster than others.  So it isn't as simple as saying "I'd like to learn how to be a mage now," when you reach, say, 20th level.  Your character just isn't geared that way.

Now, this concept gets a slight nudge when it comes to RMFPR and HARP because adolescent development is not based on this same predisposition.  Instead it is based on culture and is not altered by your character's ability to learn in any way.

So take your pick. ;)  I mean, I personally don't like multi-classing as it destroys the one thing for which I even tolerate classes and profession in the first place: role protection when role protection is wanted.  If I wanted people to start creating characters exactly the way they wanted, unfettered by any form of definition, I'd play a different game. ;)  So I would suggest RM just keeps the various professions and not allow them to be changed in a single character.  But that's just me.
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain