Author Topic: Stat Bonuses  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Stat Bonuses
« on: September 21, 2007, 03:55:18 AM »
Hiya, just read Character Law for RMC and I have an question regarding the bonuses gained from stats.

I been toying with spreading out the stat bonuses for high stat ratings. IMO why not spread out the bonuses on more steps instead of keeping them clustered? From what I can tell there is no difference between a stat 25-74 with regards to the bonus, and another big range is 75-89.

So I took the bonuses and spread them out across the range of stats.

EG:
39-59...........+0
61-63...........+1
63-66...........+2
64-69...........+3
70-72...........+4
73-75...........+5
...etc

Now being (relatively)new to RM, I dont know if this will change something with the core of the system. So my question is: will this make any difference (other than me feeling its more even spread out)?

/Nejira
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Moriarty

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Stat Bonuses
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 04:47:17 AM »
The distribution will be harder to remember for players, especially as they get older
:D

Seriously, there is an option in one of the RM2 companions, I think it's called "smooth stats" or similar. We tried this once, for the same reason you did but in the end we found that the added detail, in this particular case, wasn't worth the increase in complexity.

Basically, every time a stat changes you have to look up what the new bonus is, and that turns out to be annoying and cumbersome. With the 75/90/95/98/100 division, at least there is a chance of it staying in memory...

There is one other thing I can think of right away, and that is stat modifications, such as this background option from RM2/C:
Increase one stat by 2 or three stats by 1 each; both temporaries and potentials (to a maximum of 101).

The above special is only worth something (sometimes) because the +1 or +2 stat can be worth a great deal (+5 or +10 bonus).
If you do the 'smooth' stat bonus thing, specials like this one become sort of worthless all of the time (but you could always decide to deal with that as well, of course, by changing or removing such specials).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 04:56:52 AM by Moriarty »
...the way average posters like Moriarty read it.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 06:58:34 AM »
Thanks for your reply Moriarty,
My idea was to limit stat changes to every fourth or so instead of once per level. I only played RMFRP and the having to reroll stats every level became cumbersome, having to redo all the skills and OB/DB. My players wernt too keen on the idea especially when their characters reached their max potential, then there only was one way to go and that was down.

I am mostly concerned that I may be messing something up, as I am not exactly an veteran Rolemaster. And yes I know, dont go playing with rules, I guess I cant help myself ;D

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 08:04:52 AM »
We have always used the Smoothed Stat bonus table and a system during Stat Gains which allows a chance for your potentials to increase as well.  I think there is something similar in Companion 4
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 08:05:26 AM »
Its actually in Companion 1

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 09:48:53 AM »
These companion books are they for an older version of Rolemaster?
And can you still get them?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 09:53:31 AM »
They are for RM 2nd Edition (which is what Rolemaster Classic is based on -- there are only a few differences between the two).

And mostly ebay is where you are going to find these. However, The Guild Companion is working on creating a PDF version of Rolemaster Companion I and it will be available in the near future.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:28:28 AM »
We have always used the Smoothed Stat bonus table and a system during Stat Gains which allows a chance for your potentials to increase as well.  I think there is something similar in Companion 4
I always used them too. Perhaps it's a danish thing  ;D
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 06:36:31 AM »
Guildcompanion will be releasing RoCo1 soon

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 07:14:23 AM »
A version my wife and I used is a simple equation.

Stat Bonus = (StatTempScore - 50) ? 2, round off.  For stat scores over 100, then add an additional +1 for each point >100.

Thus, a 97-98 = +24; 99-100 = +25; 101 = +26; 102 = +27; etc.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 10:43:18 AM »
That's roughly the "Linear Stat" equation in RoCo1
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 11:29:10 PM »
Yes.  It is.  But it is something my wife and I invented before I bought the RMC1.  When we saw it published...

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 07:02:30 AM »
I often had the same problem... I would come up with an idea for RM2, and then I would find a book that already had a variation of that idea in it....   ;D

It was spooky sometimes....

;D

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 03:00:43 PM »
More of a pain was extracting PP and DP from the stat in the same linear manner.

Temp-70/10
Temp/10

are probably the two closest to working linear functions for those two. . .the PP one is a little off.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 01:17:58 AM »
More of a pain was extracting PP and DP from the stat in the same linear manner.

Temp-70/10
Temp/10

are probably the two closest to working linear functions for those two. . .the PP one is a little off.

We had those also...  To requote the stat bonus, but removing the quote tags...

Stat Bonus = (StatTempScore - 50) ? 2, round off.  For stat scores over 100, then add an additional +1 for each point > 100.

Thus, a 97-98 = +24; 99-100 = +25; 101 = +26; 102 = +27; etc.

Development Points = (all 10 Temp Scores summed) ? 10.

Until RMC2, we also had developed numerous skills.  When RMC2 came out, we found that it only added about 20-30 new skills to the list we had.

Power Points = [listed stat refers to the Temp Score] ((SD+Em+In+Pr) ? 5) ? (PPDev ranks + 1), round off.

Of course, the Power Points was only good for the world my wife and I created.  Even before I purchased RMC1, we had spell using chars develop a skill called Power Points Development.  We figured, if one develops their body (hits), why wouldn't a PowerUser also have to the develop their power?

Soul Points = (all 10 Temp Scores summed) ? 25, leave as is.

We used Soul Points to depict how many of the creatures on Udava could actually suck the Life Force out of a person.  Some could do it only by their mere presence.

I often had the same problem... I would come up with an idea for RM2, and then I would find a book that already had a variation of that idea in it....   ;D

It was spooky sometimes....

;D

Very spooky sometimes... :o

rmfr