Author Topic: Arms Law Tactical Sequence  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Steve_990

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Arms Law Tactical Sequence
« on: April 20, 2007, 09:20:12 AM »
Hey guys,

I just purchased the new Arms Law PDF and was a little dissappointed to not see the tactical sequence in there. I did however see that is is offered as a 'web extra'.

Where can that be found? I have looked in the vault and searched the forum for any mention of it. Anyone know where I can get it?

Thanks,

Steve.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Arms Law Tactical Sequence
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 09:49:27 AM »
It is on the ToDo list, but other things have had to take precedence and I haven't gotten it PDF'd an uploaded yet. I will see if I can get that done this weekend maybe.

Somebody who actually liked the old phase system... I am just flabbergasted....... :confused:

Offline Steve_990

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:57:58 AM »
LOL...

I just liked the simplicity of it... Casters go... missile op phase 1... etc.. etc..

Wasn't really a fan of the % of action method, although it does make more sense. When I GM I like to keep it as easy as possible for me :)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 11:22:06 AM »
I always found that system harder to use than a % based activity system, plus I felt that it tended to  give spell users an advantage over non-spell users.

And you actually are the first person I have met who did actually like it... heheh

Offline Steve_990

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 11:26:20 AM »
True.... maybe I haven't found that an issue cause the highest level game I got to only went to 5th level... so I was only starting to see single round casting spells, and not powerful ones at that.

I sorta liked giving the low level spell casters a chance to get the spell off.

Offline Lilith

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 08:29:46 PM »
Well, me and my group really liked it too... Any chances of seeing the pdf anytime soon?

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »
I was introduced into RM2 using that system.  It is easier and I would like to use and then slowly move into the % system.  I have three new players to RM and that would help. 
Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 08:45:34 AM »
Here you go....

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item578

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 07:18:55 PM »
That upload proves two things:

RM2 was the first RPG (even before RM1)   and

ICE used the internet long before any other:
"That?s one small step for ICE, one giant leap for mankind.?

Oh, no: It's a temporal vortex:
Today (9:45:17 am) is the December 31, 1969 (07:00:00 pm)
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Antalon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Arms Law Tactical Sequence - How does % activity work
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 12:33:33 PM »
Hello,

I liked the battle round sequence too - I understood it (especially the very helpful download, which is written very clearly).

I've come back to RM-X from MERP - via HARP.  I prefer RM-X (or RMC as I slowly integrate parts of it).

But - I just don't 'get' the activity thing.  I see that some actions are fixed %, others variable.  That only 1 attack or spell is allowed per turn, and that anything less than 100% (to a min of 50% for attacks) results in a penalty (100 - % action used).

Can anyone set out a full example of how % activity works - they one in RM-X doesn't quite cover enough circumstances for me?

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 01:07:01 PM »
Do you mean % of activity in the RMC AL sequence, or % of activity in the phased action sequence from RM2?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Antalon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »
Hello.

That's part of my confusion.

I think I understand the RM2, phased action %.  This simply 'erodes' a PC's allowed actions as they 'spend' % activity at different stages.  The % activity can have a bearing on the OB or MM actions through a penalty of 100-x% activity used.

Its RMC that eludes me.  The two systems, as I've seen them presented in RM-X, old RM2 and MERP seem, not only interchangeable, but mixtures of each other.  I'm confused!

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 02:13:21 PM »
They don't really mix, though the percentages of activity for many actions are the same or similar.

You start a round with 100% activity.

The easy way to look at it is that activity can be seen as either time or attention. Attention, in the sense that if you spend 50% activity concentrating on a spell, it's not like you do: 50% concentration, then 50% action. . . it's more that the 50% action takes twice as much effort/time because you're devoting half your attention to something else.

Looking at activity as time is not perfect, due to the above, but pretending it is, or looking at it that way might make "getting" the basic concepts clear in your head.

So looked at that way, you have 100% action per round, or 100% action per 10 seconds, or 10% action equals 1 second.

That logic isn't 100% right, but you can kind of look at the round as "Short actions 50%, then long actions over 50%" more as "Resolve first 5 seconds of the round, resolve the second 5 seconds of the round."

That help at all, or am I way off what you're asking here?

Offline Antalon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 04:17:46 PM »
Okay - maybe its becoming clearer.  It's perhaps simpler than it seems.

First, state intent or actions (I don't see why its necessary to state the 'first actions of the round' as well (RM-X pg 42)?

Then determine initiative.

Act in initiative order any melee, missile, spell casting, movement etc.

But - some basic principles apply: no more than 1 attack or spell cast per round, no more actions than 100% activity.  Some actions %age may be a matter of judgement for the GM.

Short and long actions: I think I understand the logic - basically, 'quicker' actions (taking less %) are resolved sooner than more involved actions (50%+ activity).  Other than drawing a weapon, or moving a short distance I can't think what other short actions may occur.

One other point of clarification - it seems that cancelling actions are no longer such a burden.  In RM2/MERP you could attack with half OB, move half distance, or perform MM/SM at -30.  Now, I think, you lose 10% of your action % - a kind of 'hesitation' loss - but keep most your % activity, and can perform some new action?

Last - what happened to opportunity actions in RM-X.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 04:42:59 PM »
Gotta run home, but I'll answer some of that.

You state actions before initiative, so that people don't play:

"I won initiative! I attack at full OB!" or
"I lost initiative! I full parry!"

essentially that is the big one, but plenty of opportunity for actions conflicting, someone might be more inclined to declare it if they already knew they'd go before the person likely to stop/interfere/attack them.

Short actions also: Mount or dismount, instant spells, moving maneuvers that take less than 50% action. (Which covers a lot of different possible actions.)

I need to actually look at the cancel again, I don't want to say it wrong off the top of my head. . .but %10 action is -10 if you do another action. . .like if you cancel to attack, you're now limited to at most 90% activity to it, so at least a -10 to the attack.

I spent all sorts of time writing all those opportunity action examples, then we cut the round. . . .I liked those examples. . .grumble grumble. . .heheh. At least it came out in PDF, so that wasn't wasted effort.

Opportunity actions had a lot to do with the actual sequence. . .like, if you're a mage, and declared "I'll fry you with a lightningbolt if you draw that sword" technically in RM2 sequence, on M&M phase he could draw, then on melee phase he could stab you, and you'd not be able to cast. . . so opportunity actions let you "go out of phase" by holding a stated action and triggering it later.

My brain is fried, but I think there is a bonus to prepared actions in RMC AL allowing you to similarly sit on a declared action then pop it later. Beyond that, you can do any action at any time, so there is less need for a rule to allow out of sequence actions. . .there is also a "Wait" declaration, ala "Quick perception 10%".