Author Topic: Changeling Spells  (Read 648 times)

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Changeling Spells
« on: July 08, 2022, 09:09:30 AM »
Looking at the Warlock Changeling spell rules (RMC2 3.2), it does take a little bit to fully grasp how all the different possible modification options relate to and interact with each other. The physical options are pretty straightforward (e.g., extra arms, adding wings, etc.), but the numerical ones can be headscratchers (giving a +5 bonus to gill slots?). The special mods listed on the Alternative Static Action Table 11.2 do help clarify that by noting specific skill, stat, and RR bonus modifications.

However, one thing that's not explicitly mentioned anywhere is whether the modifications are cumulative with repeated applications of the same effect. In other words, is the baseline for the desired modification set at where the target already is, or is it from where it originally started? For example, if a +5 Strength bonus was successfully added once and a +10 Strength bonus was attempted later, would you end up with a cumulative +15 bonus or a replaced +10 bonus?

I want to say that everything should be based on the current state of where the target is, meaning that all changes are cumulative, but I'm curious to hear any other thoughts about it.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Changeling Spells
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 09:57:38 AM »
Normally bonuses to the same thing from the same spell (even different versions of the same spell like Changeling I and Changeling X) are not cumulative. Otherwise it essentially invalidates the higher level versions.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 02:56:16 PM »
So, using the stat bonus example, if you wanted to go from a +5 bonus to a +15 bonus, you'd have to first apply a -5 bonus to revert to +0 and then do the +15 bonus?

(I did notice after the fact that mention of combining spell effects in the Special Notes section 11.1 of Spell Law.)

Would the same rule apply for physical enhancements since they're not numerical types of effects, say increasing the length of an arm more than once (since the notes on the Changeling parameters only mention modifying by 1/2 or 2x)?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 04:07:30 PM »
Personally I would say you could replace a +5 bonus with a +15 bonus, without needing to first remove the +5 bonus. The trait is already slightly improved, you are improving it further but not beyond the limits of the more powerful spell. I don't think it would be necessary to first worsen the trait.

There's a lot left here to GM discretion. What does it mean to have an arm that is 6' or 12' or 24' long? If it means you can strike a foe 6' or 12' or 24' away that starts to be ridiculous and I think capping it at 2x is probably a good idea. If you want to go further, make it a D or E pick. The rules don't say anything about that but given how many options are listed, there is certainly potential for some of them to become game breaking if you aren't careful.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 05:27:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. The arm example does seem a bit out of place on its own. However, if one were trying to create a 10'-tall Halfling, it would become more relevant.

Not that I'm trying to create a 10'-tall Halfling, mind you. I'm just trying to extrapolate in my mind how the list would work in various scenarios.