Author Topic: Maximum Number of Spell Lists  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Maximum Number of Spell Lists
« on: June 18, 2022, 03:24:53 PM »
I've seen some previous discussions here that talked about the maximum number of spells a caster could learn in a level, typically based on the number of DPs available for pick rolls. However, I've never found any mention here or in the books about the maximum number of spell lists a caster can learn spells from over the course of a career. My GM uses the following guidelines:

Pure Spell Users: Level + 3 lists
Hybrid/Archmage Spell Users: Level + 2 lists
Semi-Spell Users: Level + 1 lists
Non-Spell Users: Level + 0 lists

This seems reasonable, bearing in mind that casters who keep up to the limit will likely lack many high-level spells in a given list because DPs aren't infinite, but I'm curious if it's a completely homebrew idea or if it's based on a published rule somewhere.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Maximum Number of Spell Lists
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 03:41:03 PM »
Sounds like a homebrew rule to me. I've never limited the number of lists casters could learn, and never had any problems with that.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 05:03:50 PM »
This seems reasonable, bearing in mind that casters who keep up to the limit will likely lack many high-level spells in a given list because DPs aren't infinite, but I'm curious if it's a completely homebrew idea or if it's based on a published rule somewhere.
  DPs aren't infinite...that's a significant limitation right there.
When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 07:44:35 PM »
Sounds like a homebrew rule to me. I've never limited the number of lists casters could learn, and never had any problems with that.

I agree, it must be homebrewed.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 06:35:44 AM »
I believe there is a restriction of two spell lists per level (RM2), but no maximum to the total number of spell lists to learn.  Purchase 20 ranks in the first spell list for guaranteed success, then up to 19 ranks in a 2nd list each level, but that method makes for worse than a glass cannon... maybe a wet-paper cannon?
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 08:27:51 AM »
I believe there is a restriction of two spell lists per level (RM2), but no maximum to the total number of spell lists to learn.  Purchase 20 ranks in the first spell list for guaranteed success, then up to 19 ranks in a 2nd list each level, but that method makes for worse than a glass cannon... maybe a wet-paper cannon?
I'm not even sure about that - as far as I remember, the only restriction was that you had to purchase 20 ranks in a list before being able to buy ranks in a second (because the stat bonus applied to the list acquisition roll), but I don't remember there being an upper limit of 2 per level (in any case, you needed to have at least 41 DPs to buy a rank in the third one, which was possible but required very good stats to all five DP stats.

The provision to buy more than one list is in RM2 ChL&CL p50, and I don't see any explicit limit. The rule is provided for characters who want to develop a second spell list, but there is no "it is not possible to buy more than two lists in a single level" or similar sentence.

The example that follows states that "20 points is usually 2/3 or more of the total development points available to a character for a given level", which explains why the rule was not extended - except having more than 40 DPs *is* technically possible.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 01:12:48 PM »
I might speculate that the house rule was intended to even out the luck factor, since in principle if you are lucky you could learn two spell list picks every level, while an unlucky character might even gain fewer than one list per level. (RMSS/RMFRP's per-rank spell development removed that luck factor in a more straightforward way.)

At higher levels, a limit might affect whether you can develop many lists to level 5 or 10 vs having to focus on a smaller number of lists and developing them to a higher level, since getting access to the higher level spells requires picking the same spell list a second time.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 04:12:46 PM »
House rule.

That said, my own is spend as many DP in as many lists as you wanna and add you Magic Realm Stat plus whatever Base Spells level bonus one gets from a Profession.

I want a bunch of access to Utility spells in my games and if you cheat the odds with a single rank of development and miss the chance at a list, well, that was a choice you made, heh.

It happened to me for a 2nd level Sorcerer PC test character with a 30ish% chance in Base lists, and a 15ish% chance in Channeling lists…I couldn’t believe it for being statistically improbable on something like 10+ lists.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 03:33:23 AM »
I use the rules which allow characters to develop as many lists per level as they want.

Your use all your points for the level then rolls for each list you developed (rank bonus + stat bonus).

I like casters have lots of spells as PowerPoints are few anyhow even if you calculate using base PowerPoints.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 04:27:21 AM »
the house rule from Majyk is really biased towards quadratic casters,
eg. higher stats get you more DP, high stats let you spend less DP to gain Spell Lists.

in my opinion this discussion needs to be moved to the point of user(player) experience.

the spell pick rules of RM, tried to bring over the AD&D 1st edition (1981) feel of "Chance to Know Each Listed Spell" mechanics.

do you still really want that?

or should the knowledge of spells be based directly on skill rank. (ie. RoCo3 Individual Spell Development)

if you switch to the later system the question of list limits changes from "how many lists" to "to which level".

the need to buy each level and not shortcut based on "sheer luck" levels the field.

you can get diversity by sacrificing depth.
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 10:44:38 PM »
Thanks for that perspective, terefang. My GM does use a modified version of the individual spell development rules. That's mostly why I asked the question in the first place (but forgot to mention that part). The number of lists some players in our group have is expanded, but they do sacrifice depth, at least at lower levels so far.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 05:58:46 PM »
but that is only natural

Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2022, 07:34:48 PM »
I've seen some previous discussions here that talked about the maximum number of spells a caster could learn in a level, typically based on the number of DPs available for pick rolls. However, I've never found any mention here or in the books about the maximum number of spell lists a caster can learn spells from over the course of a career. My GM uses the following guidelines:

Pure Spell Users: Level + 3 lists
Hybrid/Archmage Spell Users: Level + 2 lists
Semi-Spell Users: Level + 1 lists
Non-Spell Users: Level + 0 lists

It appears that this is not, in fact, entirely a house rule, but is taken directly from the RAW, that I didn't notice until just now:

RMC3 4.5, "Individual Spell Development" bullet point 3:
"At 1st level, a pure or hybrid spell user may select spells from up to 4 different lists; a semi-user from 2, and a non-user from only one. At each later character level, the character may select from one additional new list."

The only modification my GM made was to make hybrid spell users and Archmages get a starting amount of 3 lists at first level. Otherwise, it's straight from the book.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2022, 07:46:11 PM »
If you want to get really technical, it is still a house rule of a sort...the companions tended to be compilations of house rules from a variety of sources. They were intended to be optional. I don't really consider anything that's not in the core RM stuff (Spell Law, Arms Law, Character Law) to be RAW in the traditional sense.

Some companions were better than others, at least in my view. My favorite remains RoCo I.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 02:00:04 AM »
Confirmed RoCoIII Individual Spell picking was optional and as said above collected from someone else’s house rule.

Still, it does answer where it came from, as you say which also adds further proof that no two RM games are GMd the same way because of it!
(A blessing and a curse some say, heh.)

Nice sleuthing.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 10:35:13 AM »
even a bad RoCo rule can be a blueprint for a good house-rule

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 11:05:14 AM »
Confirmed RoCoIII Individual Spell picking was optional and as said above collected from someone else’s house rule.

Still, it does answer where it came from, as you say which also adds further proof that no two RM games are GMd the same way because of it!
(A blessing and a curse some say, heh.)

Nice sleuthing.

Nice, I have RoCoIII.  It's my favorite Rolemaster Companion for RM2/RMC. I liked it because of the Noble Warrior profession.

Nice sleuthing indeed.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 05:50:42 PM »
"For any house rule a GM uses, especially for so long he doesn't recall whence he got it, there's probably in some RM2 companion or module a matching optional rue."
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.