Author Topic: RoCo1 Skil at Arms/Magic  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RoCo1 Skil at Arms/Magic
« on: June 04, 2022, 06:46:08 PM »
So I lived these tables back in the day, even though I felt they were a bit...strong.

Does anyone use them as is? Do you find the attribute mods too extreme (especially if using the high attribute benefits from RoCo3 and 5)?

Just curious what impact they have.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RoCo1 Skil at Arms/Magic
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 03:02:17 AM »
Same, always went back to these tables as a GM or a Player convincing GMs to use ‘em vs the ChL randomness Special Abilities randomness.

Always Random(back in my day! ;) ; always two rolls per Option, then player picks between them; always a free set of 2x rolls if a Player kept a “Flaw” result of 1-10 on them!

Re: the bumps for Stats:
I’d fold the bonus gained into a PC’s Potential Stat that they’d eventually possess, then raise the Temp Stat to the new Potential - this was in order for that same PC to possibly end up getting a Type A-D Pick from RM2’s RoCoIII’s(V’s as you say) Optional Special Stat Abilities.

So, if a PC had a Potential of ‘100’ for a Stat that they’d rolled a +15 through +25(to insert Stat name here) for, I’d take that bonus and add it on top of the +25 they’d eventually receive and look it up on the conversion chart for exactly what Temp that Bonus would then be converted into(in this case a +40 to +50 Pot. Bonus becomes a new Pot. Stat of 103-105.
For anything less than that, the PC would receive the bump to this new level also so a PC with a ‘90’ Pot. stat and a +15 from the table would end up having a new ‘100’ Temp/Pot. Stat.

It helped me explain why Players would see the odd God, High Level NPC, or BBEG with “over 101 Stats” in the books.

Yes, a touch overpowered but I ran more High Magic games.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 09:54:54 AM »
I found the stat bumps to be too overpowered, so I allowed rolls on the charts, but we discounted the stat bumps.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 03:35:01 PM »
Same, always went back to these tables as a GM or a Player convincing GMs to use ‘em vs the ChL randomness Special Abilities randomness.

Always Random(back in my day! ;) ; always two rolls per Option, then player picks between them; always a free set of 2x rolls if a Player kept a “Flaw” result of 1-10 on them!

Re: the bumps for Stats:
I’d fold the bonus gained into a PC’s Potential Stat that they’d eventually possess, then raise the Temp Stat to the new Potential - this was in order for that same PC to possibly end up getting a Type A-D Pick from RM2’s RoCoIII’s(V’s as you say) Optional Special Stat Abilities.

So, if a PC had a Potential of ‘100’ for a Stat that they’d rolled a +15 through +25(to insert Stat name here) for, I’d take that bonus and add it on top of the +25 they’d eventually receive and look it up on the conversion chart for exactly what Temp that Bonus would then be converted into(in this case a +40 to +50 Pot. Bonus becomes a new Pot. Stat of 103-105.
For anything less than that, the PC would receive the bump to this new level also so a PC with a ‘90’ Pot. stat and a +15 from the table would end up having a new ‘100’ Temp/Pot. Stat.

It helped me explain why Players would see the odd God, High Level NPC, or BBEG with “over 101 Stats” in the books.

Yes, a touch overpowered but I ran more High Magic games.

That sounds like a cool way to deal with it!

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 02:25:52 PM »
We used them as potential stat bonus, not stat bonus!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 04:55:56 PM »
I think maybe I'm reading the question as posted here incorrectly or we've always interpreted the bonus differently.

Skill at Arms roll of 44-52 = +15 to AG modification.

If the PCs AG stats is 91, the bonus is +10
Racial Bonus of Grey Elf +5 (just picking at random)
Now add the the bonus modification from the Skill at Arms and the total bonus is +30  (10 + 5 + 15)

The AG stat itself does not go from 91 -> 106  The bonus receives the +15 modification, not the stat.

In RMCIII, the Innate Stat Abilities is based on the value of the Stat, not the stat bonus.  While AG is 91, when calculating the skill totals, say for Cookery (RE/AG) you add the RE bonus (+0 Grey Elf + AG 30) / 2 = +15.  Climbing is AG which = +30 bonus.

RMC-I Race Abilities chart States "Stat Bonus Modifications."  The modifications from Skill at Arms/Magic apply to those stat modifications, not the value of the stat.

On the rare occasion an player rolls a 100 for a potential stat, they can opt to spend a background option to raise one stat by 2 or three stats by 1.  The players inevitably opted to make the 100 stat into a 102 stat.

There are magic items they could find that would further raise their stat values even higher, but those required lengthy quests. ;)
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 05:55:19 PM »
That was also my interpretation BITD Spectre

Offline Elrich Maltah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 07:22:03 PM »
I think maybe I'm reading the question as posted here incorrectly or we've always interpreted the bonus differently.

Skill at Arms roll of 44-52 = +15 to AG modification.

If the PCs AG stats is 91, the bonus is +10
Racial Bonus of Grey Elf +5 (just picking at random)
Now add the the bonus modification from the Skill at Arms and the total bonus is +30  (10 + 5 + 15)

The AG stat itself does not go from 91 -> 106  The bonus receives the +15 modification, not the stat.

In RMCIII, the Innate Stat Abilities is based on the value of the Stat, not the stat bonus.  While AG is 91, when calculating the skill totals, say for Cookery (RE/AG) you add the RE bonus (+0 Grey Elf + AG 30) / 2 = +15.  Climbing is AG which = +30 bonus.

RMC-I Race Abilities chart States "Stat Bonus Modifications."  The modifications from Skill at Arms/Magic apply to those stat modifications, not the value of the stat.

On the rare occasion an player rolls a 100 for a potential stat, they can opt to spend a background option to raise one stat by 2 or three stats by 1.  The players inevitably opted to make the 100 stat into a 102 stat.

There are magic items they could find that would further raise their stat values even higher, but those required lengthy quests. ;)

Yep, that's always how I've known the system to work, too. If we got the GM in a favorable mood, we could sometimes convince him to use the option in RMC6 to base the innate stat abilities on total bonus rather than stat value, so as to incorporate any extra racial or stat mods gained elsewhere.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 09:49:13 AM »
That was also my interpretation BITD Spectre
+1 here. I used those charts regularly. RoCo 1 was always my favorite.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 04:02:07 PM »
I always shudder at this, considering the option (from Ch&CL) explicitly states "Increase one stat by 2 or three stats by 1 each; both temporaries and potentials (to a maximum of 101)".
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 09:19:27 PM »
Yes, and it became especially powerful since each increment after 100 added an additional +5 to the stat bonus. It was ripe for munchkinism.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 04:01:40 PM »
I always shudder at this, considering the option (from Ch&CL) explicitly states "Increase one stat by 2 or three stats by 1 each; both temporaries and potentials (to a maximum of 101)".

Yes, you are correct.  We did limit it to 101 now that you mention it.  I do recall that limit now.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Dunadan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2022, 09:57:34 PM »
I initially used them in my games, but also found them to be "strong" and ripe for exploitation.

After a bit of tweaking, I offered a max of one roll on either table.  Cost = 1 BGO for random or 3 BGO to choose.  If the player spends 3 x BGO to choose, no result >89 (ie can only get +20 or better via random roll).
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - J. R. R. Tolkien