Author Topic: Best 'Character Generator' Sheet that is Modifiable?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Best 'Character Generator' Sheet that is Modifiable?
« on: April 25, 2022, 10:55:08 AM »
I'm looking for an excel sheet or character creator program that is relatively easy to modify to add and/or remove material (for example, adding Armor as a Single Skill from EA and Combat Styles from Combat Companion, and your own house rules like Flat DP or something) as well as new races and stuff. Oh, bonus points if it includes functionality, like rolling for potentials and stuff.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Best 'Character Generator' Sheet that is Modifiable?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 11:20:38 AM »
I think ERA covers all your requested features, but not all of them are FREE:

- The base product is free and allows you to customize the content: races, cultures, professions, spells, maneuver tables, armor penalties, treasure tables, etc.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqndcGXRX60&list=PLikcqMCKabCbuQT37rRjHCiZBdmUiIJF7 for the official tutorial videos (some are outdated), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzp9qDTB_Ik&t=121s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z32OsxORdxo&t=116s for some customization explanation made by @Twistor.

- If you purchase the Combat Companion package https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188371/ERA-for-Rolemaster-RMC-Combat-Companion you get new customization options to use the single armor skill, as well as the attack and critical table formats from that book.

- Character creation allows rolling for potentials and then raising them during level up (recommended video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqLLU5tSMCk&t=5s). Damn, every time I need to answer about some features I realize how many tutorial videos are still pending, there's nothing to show how the level up works  :o sorry for that.

Also there's a great community, which you can interact with by joining the era-for-rolemaster channel in the ICE Discord Server https://discord.gg/65TCJmJ

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 03:58:47 AM »
I think ERA covers all your requested features, but not all of them are FREE:

So of course I would prefer free options, like excel spreadsheets, before I drop $30-$40 on a program to get everything I need.

Also, I'm hesitant because I can't find any examples of the character sheet print out? What do character's look like? Are the outputs modifiable without needing to understand XML? Does it print to PDF?

Also, when you say you can 'use the combat tables from Combat Companion' does that mean ERA can be used to run combats?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 06:45:04 AM »
So of course I would prefer free options, like excel spreadsheets, before I drop $30-$40 on a program to get everything I need.
The base product is free and comes with examples for all the features.

Also, I'm hesitant because I can't find any examples of the character sheet print out? What do character's look like? Are the outputs modifiable without needing to understand XML? Does it print to PDF?
The character sheet is an HTML file that can be printed to PDF using your browser. The styling of it can be furthed modified but that's in the realm of advances customization, you need to know CSS.
Click HERE for an example of how it looks like.

Also, when you say you can 'use the combat tables from Combat Companion' does that mean ERA can be used to run combats?
Absolutely. ERA manages character creation, leveling up, inventory, resolving skills, combat, round upkeep, and has some features to help with keeping players up-to-date with their characters' status, some foraging, traveling and treasure generation features.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 04:06:25 PM »
The base product is free and comes with examples for all the features.

The character sheet is an HTML file that can be printed to PDF using your browser. The styling of it can be furthed modified but that's in the realm of advances customization, you need to know CSS.
Click HERE for an example of how it looks like.

Absolutely. ERA manages character creation, leveling up, inventory, resolving skills, combat, round upkeep, and has some features to help with keeping players up-to-date with their characters' status, some foraging, traveling and treasure generation features.

So I downloaded ERA and couldn't get it to work. I get, in Chrome, a box with several options (though the graphic link is broken on the buttons) and when I push new character, it just sits there doing nothing (says waiting for 192.168.etc etc but nothing happens).

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 05:00:21 PM »
Well it should work better than that for sure  :o

Send us the screenshots to era-support.voriigkye@recursor.net so we can check what's happening.
Also, if there's an ERA/Server/ERA-Support.log send that as well.
Please include a detail of your operating system.

Cheers

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 01:51:38 AM »
Not super simple, but well worth it is indeed ERA.

I love reverse engineering things in general, and this proggy allows that - even with the help of its creator, I’ve seen and experienced in the past!
If it doesn’t even run at all, it sounds like an Antivirus program is restricting access to the mini software-server it runs for you to connect to(unless I’m thinking of another proggy, heh).

You’re in good hands with Voriig, the programmer of it all!