Author Topic: RMC Combat Companion Weapon Style...Additional Attacks. Unbalancing?  (Read 763 times)

Offline Green Manalishi

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Has anyone participated in a group that someone has utilized this style?

My concern is higher level, say even 15th or 20th level, where a character can have 3 or 4 attacks. Let's also add in Additional Foes, so character can attack multiple enemies in one round.

Using the costs, it would take the cost to from 1/3 to 2/4, assuming single weapon and these two options.

15th level Fighter, 30 ranks, Common Man with 90 in St and Ag, with +10 item, has an OB of 149.
With the style, the fighter can make 1 attack OB 149, two attacks at OB 129, 3 attacks at OB 109.
Let's even make this against three opponents, one attack each, OB 89 vs each opponent.

Now at 20th, these become OB 169, or two at OB 149, or three at OB 129. VS three opponents OB 109.

On paper, this looks unbalanced, especially then adding Adrenal Strength or Speed.

Has anyone seen this in action? Did it unbalance the game?

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMC Combat Companion Weapon Style...Additional Attacks. Unbalancing?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 05:17:23 PM »
I haven't run into it as a problem, but I haven't had any games run past level 15 yet. Remember that while those numbers look high, you still have to take any parry amount from all attacks. I also have house ruled that you can only parry against the primary foe(I use an additional style option for additional parry I wrote up for the guild companion). So if you use your example above, you could parry your primary foe with 30DB but all three attacks would be at 59OB and the other two foes you would have no parry DB. It might work if you are desperate, but at least one of them is going to land a good hit.
If you still think it is a problem, just don't give the players any styles that have only those two options. Make the only style available in your world that includes multiple attacks against multiple foes one that also includes a bunch of other options upping the DP cost. Besides, high level fighters should be more powerful, it helps balance out the magic users.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 06:36:24 PM »
  Few of the campaigns I've had has players above 10th Level, although the current campaign may be a first.

Other than high OB/DB what else separates the higher level or "hero level" characters? In other games, more powerful characters get additional attacks/actions that make them far more effective than somebody of lesser skills.

Additional attacks make a good fighter into a great fighter.

When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 07:57:47 PM »
We are currently at level 16, and have been using RMC Combat Styles for years, many campaigns, for non/semi/pure/hybrid spell users. My players absolutely love creating their styles, and boycott any attempt of changing the combat if it means losing those rules.
For them, it means being able to have a spell user with some combat flair, or a non-spell user that has a vast array of combat options ingrained in their weapon skill.

You'll probably get higher OBs and DBs, but also will their enemies. I like the fact that most NPCs tend to be on the non-spell using spectrum, and so encounters keep players on their toes, with enemies trying disarm, having extra defenses, riposte, etc.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 10:42:03 PM »
Arms characters tend to lag at higher levels. I don't think it's a bad thing to give them a boost. I'm not using these rules per se (I'm using RMU), but the multiple attacks are mainly coming from the fighter (who needs some advantage over the semis) and the monk (whose attacks are not particularly powerful but he gets a lot of them). I think it's ok.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Green Manalishi

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 03:57:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. In practice it sounds like it hasn't been unbalancing, but beneficial for arms users.

Good info