Author Topic: Converting Combat Styles to MERP/VtD  (Read 943 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Converting Combat Styles to MERP/VtD
« on: March 22, 2022, 04:33:16 PM »
Has anyone tried converting combat styles to a setup like MERP or VtD? I love combat styles, but their costs make thinking about how they would work when you have, about, 5 ranks to buy weapon skils, very difficult.

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Converting Combat Styles to MERP/VtD
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 03:02:25 PM »
Has anyone tried converting combat styles to a setup like MERP or VtD? I love combat styles, but their costs make thinking about how they would work when you have, about, 5 ranks to buy weapon skils, very difficult.

Either @Jdale or @Hurin has done this for RMU.  I'll bet you can convert them to RMC.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 03:04:40 PM »

Either @Jdale or @Hurin has done this for RMU.  I'll bet you can convert them to RMC.

It was JDale; I was just waiting to let him wade in.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 08:11:49 PM »
It will be in the Character Companion for RMU. In short, you will buy a style skill, and allocate ranks to pick abilities from the style. So you get the abilities gradually as you advance, but unlike spell lists can choose the order. Unlike the RMC version (but same as the RMSS version in the MAC), it will not replace your weapon skill.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 09:26:57 AM »
It will be in the Character Companion for RMU. In short, you will buy a style skill, and allocate ranks to pick abilities from the style. So you get the abilities gradually as you advance, but unlike spell lists can choose the order. Unlike the RMC version (but same as the RMSS version in the MAC), it will not replace your weapon skill.

Ah...so any advice on how to do it? Since RMU seems like it will never appear, I don't have high hopes for a companion product (no offence...I would love to be wrong).

I certainly like the idea though of buying combat powers off a menu that way.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 01:02:49 PM »
The work of layout on A&CL has started, so I am more optimistic than you are....

I'm not really sure how to answer your request though. I'm not prepared to preview that whole chapter. I guess I would say you could buy a style skill, and then take the various abilities listed for the styles (e.g. in the RMC Combat Companion) and assign them each a cost of 1-6 ranks in the style.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster