Author Topic: Pricing Miscellaneous Magic Items  (Read 771 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Pricing Miscellaneous Magic Items
« on: February 13, 2022, 12:47:23 PM »
Has RM2/Classic or any other version of RM come up with rules or guidelines for pricing miscellaneous magic items? You know the various items that don't really adhere to the usual build rules of impbedded spells or +X?

C&T3 has a set of Runes that has minor, noncombat effects (like keeping you shaved or cleaning a room) that would be suitable for my campaign, but I have no idea how to price them. I know DM's perogative and all that but I am hoping that somewhere there is maybe are more comprehensive guidelines?

Offline Vladimir

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Pricing Miscellaneous Magic Items
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 12:59:31 PM »
RM Alchemy Companion has rule for enchanting items as well as costs for various materials.
When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
-Lao Tzu

Online rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 01:16:16 PM »
RM2 had only a loose connection between its item creation rules, item costs, and what items it included in its treasure lists (a good part of C&T's non-basic magic items were translated over from another system). RMSS's Treasure Companion did a better job of bringing things together, but even in RMU, I had to leave the really non-standard stuff like "gains an extra +15 OB when used under a full moon" effects with some general guidelines.

For things that substitute for mundane services, I'd probably want to price them about two to three times what it costs to just have someone do it. There are advantages to doing it by magic, but the market isn't likely to bear much markup, unless it's a truly paranoid society where every barber is seen as a cutthroat and every housekeeper a burglar.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 01:27:00 PM »
RM2 had only a loose connection between its item creation rules, item costs, and what items it included in its treasure lists (a good part of C&T's non-basic magic items were translated over from another system). RMSS's Treasure Companion did a better job of bringing things together, but even in RMU, I had to leave the really non-standard stuff like "gains an extra +15 OB when used under a full moon" effects with some general guidelines.

Really? What system? D&D I assume?

The idea of making it cost 2 or 3 times hiring a servant to do it sounds reasonable, thank you!

Though that begs the question...I don't recall rules for servants/hirelings in RM. Are they covered somewhere?

Online rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 07:17:25 PM »
No. To quote section 3.3, p. 69 of RM2 C&T, the "treasure system keyed to a specific world system" (where all the non-generic items are), "An independent designer, Lee Short, originally designed it for use in his own game, ICE has developed it and modified it slightly for use with the Rolemaster system."
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.