Author Topic: Power Point Development  (Read 989 times)

Offline Dr Jim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Power Point Development
« on: January 18, 2020, 01:37:35 AM »
What are peoples experiences with using the power point development ruled in RoCo II? Is the general consensus that it overpowers spell users (I would imagine that pp multipliers would have to be increased rarity)
The owls are not what they seem

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Power Point Development
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 02:40:19 AM »
Unless I'm misreading it, it takes power away. You can still only get level * base from stat power points. Now you're paying 2 or more development points for it. Absolutely forget it if you're a non-spell user trying to pick up an odd list to level 5. Your fighter just spent 45 development points just to get 2 power points and a shot at learning the spells.

We've used base power points before at -10 for every PP you go below zero. Unconsciousness hits at -10. It was rarely used. It's much better to ration your points than it is to put yourself at massive penalties to squeeze a few more out.

Then again, I once turned a TPK into the biggest treasure haul ever by knocking myself out. It also involved open ending high on my base attack roll followed by the dragon open ending low. More of that tale can be found here.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Dr Jim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 05:01:13 PM »
I was thinking of the stat / 10 as base pp plus number of ranks multiplied by stat pp number option. Allowing for 2 ranks to be purchased at each level effectively doubles available pp, with the additional base pp on top (although as you say there is an option to impose penalties depending on the percentage of pp's used).
I suppose that, like with RM in general, it's what fits with the flavour of the campaign  :)
The owls are not what they seem

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 11:20:46 AM »
Here is how I have redone the Power Point Development.  By using the Progression method I can make some peoples more apt, or powerful, at magic/power than others.

If you are the GM, it is all about how you want magic/power to be in your world.  Other methods would include giving peoples inherent talents, bonuses to the ESF, etc., etc.

I have also implemented a Genus Species method that is very similar to the Latin naming of species here on Earth.  In the first table, the Genus would Mergaëlon with the appropriate Species name: e.g. Mergaëlon Darnor would be name for the "Wood Folk."

One standard rule you should remember, the more adept a species is at using magic/power, the more vulnerable they are to that magic/power.  On my world, there is only ONE realm of power: Kreäsa.  There are two ways to wield Kreäsa, Kamaru (Power-Use), and Kalpan (Psion-Sap).  In simplest terms, Kamaru is considered the most eloquent since you are using your own developed power; Kalpan is considered utterly evil since you sap your power from all others.

MERGAËLON (First Tribes)
Yolnara (Noble People)     0•9•8•7•6
Darnor (Wood Clan)     0•6•5•4•3
Arnyar (Fair Folk)     0•7•6•5•4
Mithyar (Warrior Clan)     0•4•3•2•1
Ivyar (Sea Folk)     0•7•6•5•4
Vugara (Lake People)     0•6•5•4•3
Tharnhar (Underland Kin)     0•8•7•6•5

ALNAR (Human)
Altaïs (Common)     0•5•4•3•2
Anur (Noble)     0•6•5•4•3
Avari (Greater)     0•8•7•6•5

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:18:21 AM »
Absolutely forget it if you're a non-spell user trying to pick up an odd list to level 5. Your fighter just spent 45 development points just to get 2 power points and a shot at learning the spells.

Funny you mention this.  We had one player who had a fighter-type PC.  At level 0 he spent the 20DP for the 5% chance to learn a spell list.  At level 7, he finally rolled 96+ and learned the spell list.  He has a PP adder he got from a mage player and he could cast his few spells that really helped out.  I've done the same thing ad level 0 but I have yet to learn my spell list. :(  Someday!  Some day.....  the spell casting Cavalier will rise!
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 09:59:50 AM »
Funny you mention this.  We had one player who had a fighter-type PC.  At level 0 he spent the 20DP for the 5% chance to learn a spell list.  At level 7, he finally rolled 96+ and learned the spell list.  He has a PP adder he got from a mage player and he could cast his few spells that really helped out.  I've done the same thing ad level 0 but I have yet to learn my spell list. :(  Someday!  Some day.....  the spell casting Cavalier will rise!

I had a fighter do that, but he didn't spend the points until around 7th level. He had a decent presence so it only took a couple of levels to get the list. I forget which one it was. Almost certainly the one with unstun or haste on it. Probably the latter as I was a huge fan of smashing face back then and haste lets you do it twice. :)
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 10:04:27 AM »
Almost certainly the one with unstun or haste on it. Probably the latter as I was a huge fan of smashing face back then and haste lets you do it twice. :)

:laugh1:
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!