Author Topic: DIY Martial Arts or Weapon Art  (Read 2559 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
DIY Martial Arts or Weapon Art
« on: February 18, 2010, 03:22:32 PM »
 I have been looking at the Combat Companion and the Martial Arts Companion and have been trying to figure out a good cut off point for self training of a marital art or weapon art. I have been thinking that if the style has lots of abilities then you have to have a trainer but if the style has one or two abilities that deal with minor stuff then I would let players train up to rank 5 in the art. After that they would need to go to a trainer after every two ranks learned for an update so to speak on what they were doing right and wrong. Especially for the styles again that have quite a few abilities or conditions to use. 
What do you think?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: DIY Martial Arts or Weapon Art
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »
The way I view it, every skill is essentially self-taught (or not taught in a structured manner) except for skills learned through a training package.

Putting limits on how many ranks a character is allowed to learn in a given skill, is likely to be unpopular, at best.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 12:06:34 AM »
I agree that it probably wouldn't be popular..
however, if you wanted a peak/benchmark/self-taught mx, then maybe it could be based on stats.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 07:09:08 AM »
Having been a martial artist myself (IRL) for many years I have to say it's a very poor idea.
I'd rather do it the other way around? Require a techer for the first 5 or 10 ranks then it's all self taught after that.
You only learn new techinques in the beginning then it becomes a matter of using the known techniques. Honing your skills so to speak.
It's a combat skill after all.
You get better at fighting by ... fighting and training to fight, not by doing katas.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:02:29 PM »
Having been a martial artist myself (IRL) for many years I have to say it's a very poor idea.
I'd rather do it the other way around? Require a techer for the first 5 or 10 ranks then it's all self taught after that.
You only learn new techinques in the beginning then it becomes a matter of using the known techniques. Honing your skills so to speak.
You get better at fighting by ... fighting and training to fight, not by doing katas.

Thanks that is what info I was looking for. Now I just have to set a cut off point for requiring that. I do not think I will require a teacher to go up every rank, especially since I give DP by 1/3 level. So I think 1 teaching session [1 week?] per 6 ranks would work until they get to 15 ranks. IMO 18 ranks is almost master of the art but still some room to train so would be a good time to break it off. It also only requires the PC to be in training for 3 weeks after their initial training period to learn the style basics.

MDC

Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »
The way I view it, every skill is essentially self-taught (or not taught in a structured manner) except for skills learned through a training package.

Putting limits on how many ranks a character is allowed to learn in a given skill, is likely to be unpopular, at best.

In a loose association, I usually never buy Training Packages in that I can do better buying the skills myself. I've always wanted to go back through the Training Packages and come up with a new way of making them a bit more useful. I don't remember if this was discussed though and what ideas people came up with.

2nd Black belt in TKD here and I agree 100%. 95% of what I learned I learned in the first year. After that you just learn rather advanced techniques that are just the basics vamped up a little. For the most MAs learn through experience as mentioned above. Usually black belts once they reach level 2 or 3 become teachers themselves. [;)]