Author Topic: Worshipers and Channeling God  (Read 5057 times)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Worshipers and Channeling God
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 03:24:13 AM »
"The gods need nothing from us. What they demand is respect. They are pleased by proper sacrifices and virtuous behavior, both of which improves the chances of your pleas to the gods being answered."

Historically speaking there are examples to the contrairy.  The gods did need need the sacrifices.  For example in the Enuma Elish (the Sumerian version of the Flood) the reason the gods saved Utnapishtin (aka Noah) was that if the flood killed everyone then the gods would die of starvation as they wouldn't have any more sacrifices.

Yeah. Guess that's why I also wrote, right below that:
For an opposing view, here is High Priest Ontalok of the Temple of the Wheeling Stars: "The gods needs blood and hearts. Sacrifice feeds the gods and the gods feed the world. A few die so that all may live. The central ceremonies are strictly necessary to ensure the gods receive the sacrifice, but honestly, there's a lot of show that's just to keep the people happy."

Of course, all of those dependencies I can think of were based on the need for the sacrifices, not "faith and worship" as modern-Christianity-influenced models use.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »
MB;
 I do not think I want to stat gods but I do think I may need some general guidelines so I can do some hand waving when needed.

Also I do require my "channeling" pures and hybrids to have a number of ranks equal to there casting ability to level 10 then they have to have 1/2 there ranks per level. For semi and non's I require 1/2 there ranks in there highest level spell list. Since in RMSS Religion is cheep it is not a big deal but I can see how it would be for RM2/C/X. 

MDC

Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »
It really is rather fair to rule like that. channelers who do not develop channeling are to be scorned :) I insist that channelers in my campaign develop at least a few ranks in channeling though I have not strict rulings to how many, I just think they should know a little at least. Often though if there are no clerics in the party the warrior mages end up being the best at channeling as they get 1/4 similar from their transcendence and a level bonus of +2. Rather ironic but I have seen it many times