Author Topic: Medieval Combat: How do you feel about it?  (Read 14995 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Medieval Combat: How do you feel about it?
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2009, 11:23:23 PM »
Power Throw/Strike burns 1 ExP /rnd... IMO, that is just for "Routine." Maybe increase it more as the difficulty is raised. Easy 2, Light 3, Med 4, etc... that is also unencumbered.. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2009, 11:38:01 PM »
Exactly, except with this method those numbers would be added to the EP cost of just attacking (melee and missile having different EP costs, of course). Then you could add in more for wearing plate armor - and even more if you are not tained enough.

I believe that this method would need to have at least a slight increase in Hits => EP than they do now. But that is what Body Development is for, no? Imo, that would make the skill more appropriate.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

giulio.trimarco

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2009, 02:52:55 AM »
No, don't think that counting fatigue for every action will do something good.

A more dynamic and involved system is needed.
In addition hits/fatigue combination will be an all encompassing value endurance/stamina/resistance/will/whatever.

This could be also used for fueling spells.
But this another story.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2009, 02:51:46 PM »
Activate Snark Power! Form of a middle-school brat!:

So far, every idea that has been put out there you have shot down, DFA. How about you put something up so we can see where you are coming from and where you are trying to go with this?

De-activate Snark Power! Back to regular PC (not the computer) mode!
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2009, 07:34:22 PM »
DFA, if you don't want the bookkeeping of each action having a different exh expenditure.... Instead of counting every action as a different fatigue, how about 100% Endurance is 100% activity...
I'm repeating myself... I hope this isn't rude but I'm just going to repost... or quote myself  :)

So, maybe (Armor Skill bonus - AT) + (SUM:Co,St,SD bonus) = the number of rounds one can fight in their given armor before exhaustion..?(Or even Average the +) We'll call this % Endurance. Since it appears that many people don't even use Exhaustion Rules, this simple system tells you how long your character can do something before having to Stop that action, or take hits(!), or rolling automatic fumble /maneuver.
For other skills, you can substitue...Swimming, Portage, Distance Running, whatever. For those who want a Mental Endurance (wacky, I know..) just use Re, SD, and whatever you think applies; Chess?The old Risk boardgame maybe.. This number could also be how fast they are recovered as 100% of book value + this number as %. I don't have full use of my book right now; my puppy is teething. Embarrassed

In addition hits/fatigue combination will be an all encompassing value endurance/stamina/resistance/will/whatever.
Respectfully, I don't like the idea that just because
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »
I'm tired, or have an arrow in my back, that I can't save vs a spell...
Maybe I can't shrug off my old ways :)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2009, 07:39:27 PM »
We are already doing %'s of %'s so a little math won't kill us.
Most auto Char Sheets auto tally Exh points. Could the most used physical skills have the exh FOR the % activity while using that skill?

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2009, 04:53:53 AM »
We are already doing %'s of %'s so a little math won't kill us.
Most auto Char Sheets auto tally Exh points. Could the most used physical skills have the exh FOR the % activity while using that skill?

I do not want to have to use a spreadsheet to play, and if I can find a simpler solution to something I'll go for that.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2009, 10:33:40 PM »
Sorry, that was a bit much  :-[ This could help me, but

So RandalThor, if Body Dev is to represent exhaustion (I all for something new :)), if a character is overburdened, do they take more hits when damaged or just to be carrying a bunch of stuff?

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2009, 10:35:56 PM »
Also, I believe the original poster may have left us...

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2009, 01:56:22 PM »
I suspect, to a degree, this is one of those threads that's a bit over ambitious in covering loads of specifics in a giant abstract. . .threads tend to work better if you pick one topic and stick to it.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »
So RandalThor, if Body Dev is to represent exhaustion (I all for something new :)), if a character is overburdened, do they take more hits when damaged or just to be carrying a bunch of stuff?

Other than being slowed and unable to dodge as well being overburdened doesn't make you take "more" hits. It just means that you will reach zero faster because you have used some of your EndPts already.

I believe that it is much easier to knock out a marathon runner after the race than before. And that is not only because they are so exhausted they cannot dodge, but becuase they are so exhausted.

Earthdawn uses strain to represent the personal energy used to use some talents, and even some combat maneuvers, I believe. I like this idea. It does mean more 'bean' counting, but I think it just might be worth it and get to be second nature after a while. The idea that wearing armor would increase this EndPts cost is a good one, and very realistic.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2009, 01:55:11 AM »
To a degree, there's logic to that, in that Hits are defined as general physical stamina in terms of taking a whupping, while Endurance is general physical stamina in terms of exertion.

You would need to recover hits a bit faster to make that work though, otherwise you'd sprint for a couple of minutes then need an 8 hour nap to recover.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2009, 03:22:02 AM »
To use Earthdawn again (I know, I know  :D):

They have a mechanic where you can rest for a short period - about half an hour min - and get a number of points back equal to a roll using your Toughness step/dice. How many times a day you can do that depends also upon your Toughness, so you can see the difference between a high and low Tougness very quickly. But that is only for general hits, not things like wounds which take actual rest to heal up.

I will work on that a bit here and post back an idea on how that could work for RM. But I will create another thread.