Author Topic: RMU Dance skill  (Read 442 times)

Offline eulerkun

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU Dance skill
« on: February 23, 2023, 07:31:40 AM »
This has probably already been asked, but the Search tool didn't help at all.

What skill are folks using to represent Dance in RMU? Athletics? Music specialization? A new Performance Art sub-skill?
I live only to be worthy of the corpse I shall leave behind.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
Re: RMU Dance skill
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 09:23:01 AM »
Dancing has never come up in my game, but if you don't want to add dancing as a skill, I think Acting is a good fit.
/Pa Staav

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 05:36:53 PM »
I would say use any artistic performance skill combined with pretty much any athletic skill (maybe even running since that's about moving around). If it's just general dancing then music skills should probably be primary and something athletic complementing to offset the similar skill penalty. If you're trying to do something super flashy to impress you might want acrobatics as primary. If you've got a character or campaign where this comes up frequently, then probably a standard music specialization would be best. But always have a fallback plan, especially for simple dancing by folks just trying to fit in. Most social dancing is going to have a pretty generous difficulty modifier, so it won't take much skill just to avoid embarrassing yourself.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 08:10:41 PM »
If it's just part of mingling at a noble event, it could be a noble vocation or similar. You're trying to seem like you belong.

If it's a performance skill for its own sake, I would make it an alternate specialization of Music but give it Ag as the stat bonus. Making it a specialization of an existing skill allows any professional skill bonuses to apply (if relevant).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 05:52:06 AM »
As a funny aside:  My daughter made a Dancer in our RM2 campaign.... then forgot to buy ranks in Dancing.  The on-stage performances for level 1 and 2 were funny as heck and led to great situations in the sessions. :D
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!