Author Topic: Publishing  (Read 631 times)

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Publishing
« on: February 22, 2023, 03:25:23 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there some advantage to woking on completing the print version of RMU prior to completing and releasing the PDF version of the remaining books (Spell, Creature, Treasure). Seems that it might help continue with buzz for the game to release all the PDF versions of the books for sale (lots of people these days buy those) and while people have those in the field for play purposes and catching errors, the continued work on the revisions, clarifications, etc, could be done in the background.

Might that be a better allocation of resources?
Might that be a more profit friendly model?
Might that encourage more interaction with the gaming community since they have a complete game and when the paper versions are released, they will be all available and they will require fewer errata. Also, as noted in the most recent Directors Briefing, something like typesetting won't delay everything else in the pipeline.

If there a reason that it is done the current way, I would be interested to know. I dont want to make bad assumptions regarding how ICE is going about their release. One of the reasons I ask is that I have found the PDF release approach to be pretty common and even additional material is released before a paper version is released, for the exact reasons of - less chance of errata, easy to reformat and get released with updates, and works in progress released as PDF bring in revenue while the paper releases are being worked on.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Publishing
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 06:07:01 PM »
The print and PDF versions are made basically in the same process. The print books won't appear until the PDF versions have been updated, because the additional work of creating the print-ready files is minor; there's just a process delay because we need to get a proof copy to check. And in any case we want the print version to have as much fixed as possible.

However in practice we ended up prioritizing making fixes to the Core rules rather than pushing out Spell Law sooner, so in that sense we did prioritize the process that gets us closer to print, over the next books. (Which is not to say no work has been done on the next books, that's just how the balance has worked out.)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 10:11:49 PM »
Thanks JDale. I appreciate your responses even when we disagree. I find you forthcoming and helpful. Just wanted to put that out there.

Offline kwickham

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Aioskoru
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 12:26:00 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there some advantage to woking on completing the print version of RMU prior to completing and releasing the PDF version of the remaining books (Spell, Creature, Treasure). Seems that it might help continue with buzz for the game to release all the PDF versions of the books for sale (lots of people these days buy those) and while people have those in the field for play purposes and catching errors, the continued work on the revisions, clarifications, etc, could be done in the background.

Might that be a better allocation of resources?
Might that be a more profit friendly model?
Might that encourage more interaction with the gaming community since they have a complete game and when the paper versions are released, they will be all available and they will require fewer errata. Also, as noted in the most recent Directors Briefing, something like typesetting won't delay everything else in the pipeline.

From what I've heard, most of those working on the books are either academic or computer-related professionals in real life.
For those not in academic or computer field, such as myself, the publication time does seem slow.
I don't think that profit, sales, and PR have much focus beyond being a bonus. That type of team would be more of an economic, business, or marketing focus which might in turn unfortunately try to squeeze out as much money—quickly as possible—sacrificing quality for quantities. There is enough of those products already.

While new customers may look at RMU as being a new game, I don't think that is the lens being used.
Rather, more important is that another iteration or version of RM is being created—much based on prior knowledge, established expectations, and traditional rules.

Because of this, I tend to look at RMU releases through a lens of someone publishing a scholarly paper, computer documentation, or code. Rather than them looking at profit and resources from a business approach of supply and demand. While profit, sales, and PR seem great, focus more seems to be on the actual information, systems, processes, and numbers to make sense—instead, like in a computer program or game engine.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 12:47:52 PM »
>From what I've heard, most of those working on the books are either academic or computer-related professionals in real life.

I resemble that remark.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Sai

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 05:52:51 PM »
>From what I've heard, most of those working on the books are either academic or computer-related professionals in real life.

Guilty of both.
Author of HARP Subterfuge