Author Topic: RMU and HARP  (Read 3070 times)

Offline katastrophe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU and HARP
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2023, 11:27:37 AM »
So you agree with what I wrote in #58, just stated in a different way. Ok. I agree.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2023, 02:23:44 PM »
I suspect that creation of a single really good game would bring both groups together and expand the number of products that can be put out since there would be more freelance opportunities.
I don't agree here at all.  If I feel like playing a more intricate and detailed game I use Rolemaster.  If I felt like playing a more casual and simpler game I'd play HARP.  Making them one might lose me completely rather than prompt me to buy more of the combined product.

We went from D&D to AD&D to 2nd AD&D, to using RM1 with 2nd AD&D, to MERP to RMSS.  We tried HARP after all that and didn't like the more generic feel to it.  It was too... watered down I guess is how I think of it.  I actually really like the idea of how HARP individual spells work (i.e. you pay more power points to ramp them up rather than just have a high level version of it), however I greatly dislike the loss of unique spell lists that Rolemaster has as base lists.  But to revamp RM to combine these elements would require a complete overhaul and I suspect is more likely to lose customers than gain them.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2023, 03:40:15 PM »
To me that's a supplement, designed to work with either RM or HARP, that you can buy if you're interested. If you aren't, no harm, no foul.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula