Author Topic: RMU Core Questions  (Read 633 times)

Offline Urlord

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU Core Questions
« on: December 27, 2022, 05:22:51 PM »
I purchased RMU Core Law from DriveThruRPG.
I am creating my first character, and I have a few questions.
I thought it would be best to ask them all in one place instead of multiple posts.

I played Rolemaster extensively back in the 80s & 90s (in the I.C.E. office in Charlottesville VA. from 1989-1992)
I'm now trying out the new RMU Core Law rules and I don't want to carry any assumptions over from the older version.

Questions:
  • Is there just One Development step for new Level 1 characters, or do you still develop twice (Adolescence and Apprenticeship)?
  • Hit Points = Racial + Body Development Total + (Toughness Talent Tier x5), is this right?
  • What is the Armor Type column used for Piecemeal Armor?
  • Do non-spellcasters pick a realm for Resistance Roll purposes, or are they considered to have No Realm?
  • On the Skill Pages of the Character sheet (in the book), what are the two boxes for (second column from the right)?
  • Skill Bonus for 0 ranks = -25. Does Stat Bonus modify that, or is it a flat -25?

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU Core Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 06:55:42 PM »
1. One Development step, the Adolescence skills are by Culture
2. Hit Points = Base Hits from Race+Stat+Skill Bonus+any other bonus(talent or prof bonus)*Size adjustment (0.75 for small or 1.5 for Big)
3. Piecemeal Armor is optional but if used is based on None, Light, Medium or Heavy and is the following AT 1, 3, 5, 9 for affected areas that are targeted by the hit roll. IE... If chain shirt AT5 gets hit in leg with leather greaves AT 3 then hit will be based on AT 3.
4. Realm is only necessary for Spell Casting Professions. The resistance is based on Realm casted from. If Hybrid class the average the Resistances.
5. Looks to be based for while developing if 1 rank or 2 ranks was used this level to track cost and if it was already developed 1 or 2 ranks
6. Skill 0 will equal -25 and can be modified by STAT bonuses. Some Skills do not have Stat Bonuses.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 09:20:43 PM »
#1, if you start with a 1st level character, there's just one development step, and as tbigness noted you add the ranks for your culture. 1st level characters are neophytes so if you choose to start characters at 1st level, keep that in mind when designing challenges for them. Personally I like starting at 2nd level but it's up to the GM.

#2, just to make sure that's clear, you add up the total skill bonus for Body Development, including stat bonuses etc just like any other skill, and then also add the base hits to get their total.

For #3, if you are using piecemeal armor, you roll the critical at the same time you roll the attack. Then look at the location for that critical roll (which will be the same on every critical table), and use the AT for that location.

#4, every character does get a realm, so Arms characters need to pick one (page 53) and will get the bonus for their realm RRs.

#5, check boxes for figuring out development for your next level. You don't have to use them but we always liked them.

#6, the skill bonus will be -25 but you do still add the stat bonuses to those skills. In some cases if you don't have the skill at all, you might want to try to use a similar skill instead (if you have anything suitable), pg 84.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 09:27:05 PM »
6. Note that the skills that do not use stat bonuses are the Expertise skills, which are used only to offset penalties. While they have a -25 penalty with no skill ranks, you simply wouldn't use them. They are not going to make the penalties that they apply to worse.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Urlord

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 05:57:25 AM »
Thank you for answering my questions.

Are there any RMU sample creatures in which to test out the combat system?

What about sample spell lists to test that out as well?

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 07:44:42 AM »
4. Realm is only necessary for Spell Casting Professions. The resistance is based on Realm casted from. If Hybrid class the average the Resistances.

Good answers in general, but you got #4 pretty wrong.

Even non spell casters pick a realm, and they do get them bonus to RR when resisting their own realm.  What is more, when facing a hybrid spell (say from a Mystic casting from their base list, but not a Mystic casting from an Open Essence list - that is resisted as an essence realm) you do not average the resistances.  You pick the realm that is most beneficial (ie highest) to the person resisting the spell.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 10:25:37 AM »
Thank you for answering my questions.

Are there any RMU sample creatures in which to test out the combat system?

What about sample spell lists to test that out as well?

You can download the beta versions of Creature Law, Spell Law, and Treasure Law on these forums.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle