Author Topic: Help with power development skill  (Read 512 times)

Offline FelGeezer

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Help with power development skill
« on: December 08, 2022, 02:53:38 AM »
I'd like to ask for a simple explanation of how power points are calculated in the new RMU rules. I've read through it a few times - can't get my head around it. The example character sheets are confusing me . I am a newbie,  guess that's obvious lol. Thanks a bunch in advance! 

Offline eulerkun

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Help with power development skill
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 03:49:46 AM »
Calculate the skill bonus for Power Development as one would for any other skill. Add bonuses from Talents and items if applicable. This total is the character's Maximum Power Points. (Core Law, page 105)

Characters recover 40% of their Maximum Power Points per 8 hours of rest, adjusted proportionally for characters that require less rest. (If you only need 4 hours of rest, you still recover 40% of your PP over those 4 hours.) (Core Law, page 105)
I live only to be worthy of the corpse I shall leave behind.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 08:53:00 AM »
Yes, as Eulerkun notes, it is actually quite straightforward. Your total number of Powerpoints is just equal to your skill bonus in the skill 'PP Development'.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline FelGeezer

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 04:03:52 PM »
Thanks for responding! -That was my understanding, so in example:   a High Human (+3) Magician (+1) with Co of 90 (+8) and 2 ranks (+10) in power development could have a total of 22 PP's. That seem about right?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 06:01:20 PM »
If it is a Magician, their realm is Essence. The realm stat for Essence is Empathy, so the applicable stats are Em+Em+Co. A high human would have a racial bonus of +3 for Co and +0 for Em. If they have a Co of 90 (with a +8 stat bonus) and an Empathy of 50 (with a +0) stat, that would total stat bonuses (including the racial bonuses) of +11. Then two ranks of Power Development is +10, so +21. If they take Power Development as a Professional skill (highly recommend), there is a bonus of +1 per rank which in this case is +2, so +23.

They would probably be better off with a higher Empathy to get more of a bonus there, and Power Development is a good choice for your Knack if you are a pure spellcaster so that could be another +5.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline FelGeezer

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 08:36:12 PM »
Thank you. Curious if the different RoleMaster versions vary much? I was following the new RMU core rules released last week. Missed the part of the rules that you are explaining to me. I have wanted to play RM for years, never found a group that would. Tryin to learn the details - now I can play online it turns out!  :-)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 09:06:04 PM »
The fundamentals are similar (10 stats, professions, spell lists, etc) but details vary. For example in RMSS/RMFRP, the number of power points you get per rank of power development varies depending on your race, there are a lot more skills, and for most skills you have to develop both skills and categories. We decided to simplify that down for RMU. In RM2, there were initially fewer skills but they were gradually added in the expansion material.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster