Author Topic: do you use declaration of actions?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
do you use declaration of actions?
« on: October 08, 2022, 09:07:30 PM »
for a combat round, do you use declaration of actions?

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: do you use declaration of actions?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 04:20:49 AM »
No.

Except for intention to melee (any melee action - full melee, guarding, disengage, but not dodge/evade is "intention to melee"), because of OB/DB allocation.

I've tried using declaration of actions the first time I used RMSS rules (a four-year campaign, overall). It was an overcomplicated mess, twice that when people were using any kind of haste, and multiplied by the number of NPCs that had to be managed on the GM side.

Personal advice : don't do it.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 10:00:38 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly with MisterK.

Declarations were necessary when you had different types of phases (magic, missile, movement, melee) and when the game treated different types of actions differently. But they significantly complicated the game and led to extra steps to the turn. Having played without them now for decades, I feel strongly that they are more trouble than they are worth and just slow and complicate the game.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 12:04:56 PM »
I do, but I'm also using a home-brew combat round that uses action points. AP cost relates directly to what someone's doing, and the round also uses an AP count in place of phases.

Prior to that I really didn't consistently use action declaration.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 04:03:46 PM »
We use a very simple initiative/action round so the declarations are simple as well.  Declare parry, prepping a spell, trying to do something out of the ordinary like emptying flasks of oil around the room or preparing to throw a handful of powder in someone's face.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 06:43:28 PM »
Like Hurin, no declarations of any kind.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 01:29:05 AM »
Yes, we're using declaration of actions as per the rules. And once you got used to it, it doesn't take too much time or make things complicated (IMHO).

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 12:33:40 AM »
I did, but in order to do so, I used cards as a memory aid. Each player has a "deck" with their proposed actions for the round playable in the respective phases they intend to act. The selected cards are all laid face-down, and revealed in order of initiative.   

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 06:14:23 AM »
I did, but in order to do so, I used cards as a memory aid. Each player has a "deck" with their proposed actions for the round playable in the respective phases they intend to act. The selected cards are all laid face-down, and revealed in order of initiative.   
How did you do, as a GM, when you have 20+ NPCs to manage ?

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 06:42:56 PM »
Sounds like I should run a game per the RAW.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 11:20:48 PM »
How did you do, as a GM, when you have 20+ NPCs to manage ?

The trick is, NEVER have that many independent NPCS... ;)   Seriously though, I've only ever really needed to track, maybe 3-4 groups of "mooks" and 1-2 "BBG's" per encounter.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 12:12:49 PM »
for a combat round, do you use declaration of actions?

No. It just slows down combat, in my experience.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 05:59:02 AM »
All we declare is OB/DB split then roll initiative.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Green Manalishi

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 08:06:07 PM »
I don't use declared actions. Not even declaring OB/DB split. Combat should be much more fluid, and people can react pretty easily for the most part within a 10 second round.

Imagine how crummy a basketball game would be having to declare actions for 10 seconds, then cancel action because a second player came to defend, in a split second you can choose to dribble a different direction or pass the ball, or even shoot, then get ready for a rebound if you miss, or a number of other things, all happening in a few seconds.

Declaring even OB/DB split isn't realistic to me, so I play it much more freely and open.

Offline talsharien

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2023, 05:46:30 AM »
No declarations, as with some others here my group tried it for awhile but combat simply absorbed massive chunks of the session.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2023, 09:46:49 AM »
No declarations, as with some others here my group tried it for awhile but combat simply absorbed massive chunks of the session.

as did ours. the only issue i have with not declaring actions is sometimes a combatant can move and attack late in the initiative order and actually gain an advatange on someone who has already attacked. its workable tho becuase combtatants who attack early in the round still need to leave some DB for possible late round attacks.

Offline luzbel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 02:31:04 PM »
Declarations never ever....
Rolling initiative every round? No way
Lately I dont even like individual initiative. Side INI and lets finish this in less than 3 hours......