Author Topic: Fumble Question  (Read 699 times)

Offline Osiris

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Fumble Question
« on: March 20, 2022, 07:42:30 PM »
Good evening all!

I have a question regarding fumble interpretation in AL/CL and hope someone can share insight/opinions..

I use 2nd edition Arms Law & Claw Law. A PC fumbles long bow and roles on the fumble table.
The roll is 65 resulting in: "Drop your bow. You lose 2 rounds while retrieving and reloading it"

Can the PC opt to leave the bow and arrow on the ground and do something else next round? Or does the fumble imply mental confusion in addition to the physical fumble? You go to shoot and drop bow and arrow and are scrambling around for them (sort of single minded and lost in that moment for 2 rounds..).

Thanks for any thoughts shared.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Fumble Question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 10:58:54 PM »
Personally, I would let them switch to a different weapon or action.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 11:23:28 PM »
What jdale said. :)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Osiris

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 05:03:19 AM »
Thanks chaps!

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 02:15:53 AM »
Though, I quite like the idea of a character amusingly "juggling" a fumbled weapon.... trying, but failing, to regain control. Much like catching something hot, but not wanting to drop it.    I'd give the character a RR to get the choice..

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 08:10:31 AM »
Though, I quite like the idea of a character amusingly "juggling" a fumbled weapon.... trying, but failing, to regain control. Much like catching something hot, but not wanting to drop it.    I'd give the character a RR to get the choice..

That's what the Swashbuckling skill is (was) for.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 03:50:42 PM »

We've played it both ways and letting the character say "screw it" and swap weapons but we felt like it betrayed the "intent" of the critical.  The players chose to stick to the wording of the critical and the PC was fumbling with the weapon for the 2 rounds, for example.  That was the result of their decision and they went with it and had fun.  Again, the players surprised me with their choices.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 05:32:18 PM »
I was going to say something similar to what Spectre said. The other fumble results around the 60s tend to have more serious consequences than just drop your weapon (and free to draw another). So I like Spectre's solution better (you can draw another one, but you'll fumble that one too).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle