Author Topic: Animal Bonding Spell  (Read 906 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Animal Bonding Spell
« on: October 08, 2019, 05:30:05 PM »
I wanted your opinion on this spell.  Animal Bonding list (Ment Co), 6th Level Spell Sense Through Bonded.  My player has  a hawk and wanted to send it out and see through its eyes.  It some of the explanations of the list earlier it says "unless specifically noted, the range of spell is the bond extension range". 

My player can cast bond extension IV or 20' range per level equaling 180'.  I was thinking if he could see through the hawks eyes, but still had to roll distance sense, orienteering or region lore to get a "sense" of distance and direction.  Because sending a hawk out only 180', heck he can probably see that far.

I wanted to know if you think this is over powered being able to bond a hawk and see through it's eyes without using the bond extension.  Any thoughts would be appreciated .

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Animal Bonding Spell
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 07:22:11 PM »
The hawk has the advantage of elevation. It can fly up and take a look around when there are a lot of obstacles, like in a forested or mountainous region. It can spot ambushes that are well-hidden from below. Even with a 180' range, it can be pretty advantageous if you aren't adventuring on a featureless plain. Plus, you've got excellent color vision, so you can get good details, and good low-light vision (enough to hunt mice in the dusk). Even sitting on the character's shoulder, the hawk's eyes would provide better sight. It's hearing range should allow it to listen in on human language conversations, possibly from further away than a human could in some circumstances. Human speech can go a bit outside their best hearing range, but birds are better at picking out sounds in noisy environments. The bird can probably perch in a convenient location where the human could not (at least not without being an obvious snoop). It's not clear how good their sense of smell is. Touch will typically be less sensitive than a human's sense of touch.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.