Forum > Rolemaster

Project BASil: Mentalism Spells

(1/11) > >>

B Hanson:
Hurin gave me a kick in the ass so I thought I would start putting up our Project BASiL Mentalism spells while Priest-King is in edit/review and I've got some down-time in the summer doldrums.

Like Essence, we've organized our Mentalism spells by category we refer to as "Disciplines" (higher and lower) with some basic spell lists that act as "Open" if you will. These basic/Open lists only go to 10th lvl due to their less powerful nature. I'm not going to put them up in any particular order like I did with Essence or Channelling; I'm just going to pick away starting with the ones that need less clean up.

Mentalism Disciplines (Base Categories) are Body Enchancement, Clairavoyance, Glamours, Mesmerization, Mind Control, Mind Defense, Precognition, Pyschokinesis, Pyrokinesis, Sense Projection, Subterfuge, Telepathy. Note that these are categories and most have at least 2 lists. For example Body Enhancement has the lists Body Control, Self Augment, Combat Enhancement, Self Healing, Body Shifting. (some of these need some name changes but you get the idea).

I was thinking of putting up our spell casting rules, but most people are pretty set on using standard or home rules I don't see the point in throwing yet another rule option in the mix. Although we use a "No Profession" ruleset that allows access to any and all of the "realms" I've still left them generally organized in the basic Open/Closed/Base in the event of publication.

Note: If you are viewing this as a "Guest" on the forums you won't be able to see the download files. Join the Forums!!

For our Essence lists: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=16681.0

For our Channeling lists: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=16688.0

Once I'm done with Mentalism I still have Investiture (imbedding magic), Notational(written magic) and Rendering (performance magic) to go up. There is still A LOT of spells to go. I think we are up over 5000 individual spells with much less redundancy than spell law. Our "Incidental" magic (cantrips) is already up on the Shadow World Forums here: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=15879.msg194141#msg194141

B Hanson:
Here are a couple of "Closed" spell lists that we've had great success with in our own campaign. The first, Absorption, allows the Mentalist/caster to absorb skill abilities from the target. How cool is that? I think this was touched upon a bit in RMU in a spell list but not full explored. My players have had great fun with it and due to the duration and our casting mechanisms never have had any balance issues. Plus the "Mentalist" has amazing utility with this list.

The second is "Mind Lore". This was a distillation of various Spell Law lists, Loremaster lists down to the spells that I thought had real game utility. Plus it works great when you have a long campaign and players can't be expected to memorize every detail they encounter, or miss obvious clues because it's been 3 months since the last session. Mind Lore allows me to re-introduce important narrative material via spells.

Hurin:
Looking forward to seeing the files when they are approved.

Thanks again for posting these; they are truly great!

B Hanson:
re: to various messages. Once I finish up the Charon spell lists in the SW forums I'll be back to putting up Mentalism spells (and a handful of Essence).

B Hanson:
Ok, I'm going to get back to Mentalism right after the New England Patriots win the Superbowl this coming weekend. (if they lose I'll still do it since I'll lock myself into a room with whiskey and computer). I've received a bunch of messages on these--if anyone has any particular lists/disciplines they want to see first I can focus on that. Unlike Channeling and Essence, Mentalism needs a lot more work since I changed our Mentalism casting rules a few years back to require concentration throughout the spell effects. However, I'm going to use the original durations so they are more easily incorporated with official rule sets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version