Author Topic: Moving makes Hitting Harder  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Icefield

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Moving makes Hitting Harder
« on: February 07, 2015, 11:56:57 PM »
So I'm putting together a game using RMC rules and I have been having a discussion with a friend about how the Activity % devoted to the attack affects the available points for that attack.
I'm wondering if I am getting this right: 100 - Activity % for Attack = Penalty to OB for attack.
So if I am using 50% Activity for Movement, I have a -50 to my attack, right?

Is this to indicate a more hastily applied Offense? i.e. the character doing a 20% attack is being very haphazard in trying to land that attack past an actively defending opponent?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Moving makes Hitting Harder
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 09:59:33 AM »
It indicates that the attacker's attention is divided. It might be that they have less time to attack, but it could also be that while they are attacking they are also doing something else (e.g. engaged with the target and also using their shield to block missile attacks). Activity is not necessarily time, if it was it would be expressed as seconds and not as a percentage.

You're correct that, if you only spend 50% activity on an attack, the attack is at -50. If you spend 80% activity on the attack, it's at -20.

There is also a minimum amount of activity you can spend to make an attack. In RMU, that minimum is 50%. You can't make a 20% attack at all. In RMSS, the minimum is 60%.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Icefield

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Moving makes Hitting Harder
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:05:29 PM »
It indicates that the attacker's attention is divided. It might be that they have less time to attack, but it could also be that while they are attacking they are also doing something else (e.g. engaged with the target and also using their shield to block missile attacks). Activity is not necessarily time, if it was it would be expressed as seconds and not as a percentage.

You're correct that, if you only spend 50% activity on an attack, the attack is at -50. If you spend 80% activity on the attack, it's at -20.

There is also a minimum amount of activity you can spend to make an attack. In RMU, that minimum is 50%. You can't make a 20% attack at all. In RMSS, the minimum is 60%.

Ah thank you. I am using RMC and playing through Fantasy Grounds. Learning all the details is going to take me a while so I appreciate the help.