Forum > Cyradon

The Mysteries of the Gods

(1/6) > >>

PhillipAEllis:
G'day!

Coming from a background of the study of Classical religions, I am very aware of what are called the Mysteries, sacred initiations and secretive cults of the Greek gods. Most were involved in securing a better deal in the afterlife: the most famous of these was the Eleusinian religion, which was so revered that we know nothing of their secrets, despite the best "efforts" of the Christian Fathers (as with a lot of their writings about paganism, they either lied or pulled stuff out of their own butts). There are some, like the Mysteries of the Cabeiri (ie. Castor and Pollux), which sought protection for sailors, that were concerned with other aspects of life.

What I was wondering was this: is there any scope among the various deities of Cyradon for Mysteries like these, and if so which gods &/or cultures would be most likely to have them? What do you think? What is your opinion on the matter?

markc:
 IMHO you have to have somewhat stable society to have these "cults" be active. When you are just trying to stay alive you do not have time for that stuff.
 So you would look to more established societies trying to adopt/initiate new members of emerging societies or brother societies asking for help from stable societies.

I guess you could say what section of the world are you talking about?

MDC   

Zut:
What about the gods of the Mablung (dwarves)? Refering to markc's post, you can exclude Griffons, Rhona, and Arali since they do not worship individual entities. The Gryx and Humans' gods could be good choices too. Maybe the Gryx more than the Humans, since the latter are the invaders (thus like Christians).

Thom @ ICE:
I'll add that to the wish list of product ideas for expanding Cyradon....
A product that fleshes out the religions of Cyradon (and Anias) and if we can incorporate an adventure or two, plus a bunch of plot seeds for others....
Sound good?

Zut:
Good idea! For now, they seem a little generic and except for the Gryx, the gods don't have much of an impact on their followers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version