Author Topic: Faster character generation  (Read 3703 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Faster character generation
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 04:08:19 AM »
.. and we're back on discussing the various incarnations of RM!  ;D

@JimiSue; We are allowed to say MERP now!

MERP!
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:57 AM »
Edit: is ruin out the guns still available?
/b]it is a little expenseive, but try Noble Knight Games here: http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp?ProductLineID=-1340236132&ManufacturerID=25&CategoryID=12&GenreID= (The insert URL tool isn't working for me.)

I like Talents and Flaws, but for beginning RMers it can be a bit overwhelming. But, if they are experienced gamers, then then whould be able to handle it.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »
I always looked at it as character generation being part of the setting, so we'd actually take a full session to determine origin and then discuss the options that sprang from that origin. Once they'd picked a race and roughed out an idea of profession based on what was available to that culture/race, the whole process of rolling went pretty quickly. I'd say we could go from nothing to a fully-developed 1st level character in about 2-3 hours (and this was with people who'd never played an RPG before). Of course, I didn't use the bulk of the Companions and had my world set up so that culture determined available professions, streamlining the process a bit. The cultural background also had some basics about beliefs and values, so players could start framing a character based on that before they even touched the dice.
This is very close to what "Run out the Guns" is. All pre-gen characters where relevant to the scene. It also had a good character an background handout scheme that made it fair for everyone. IMO I think this format is a good start for anyone introducing new people to RM.

That was certainly my experience. Most of my new players were in their 20s and 30s and had never played an RPG in their lives. By the time they got done determining where their characters were from and reading/talking about the background information they had generally formed a pretty good picture of what sort of character they wanted to play. After that stat gen and skill purchasing went pretty quickly, and I always used the background options to really flesh out what they had developed while we talked about possible characters. It also really helped them figure out how the party fit together.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 09:59:02 AM »
Make the PC for them before the game.

Then let them play the PC until level 3-5, at which point you allow them to do a redesign if they wish.  Having played and trained for several level advancements, they will know the system well enough.

I agree with this approach 100%. You can't necessarily explain a system in a day, but they can hopefully pick up the nuances after a few games and be able to go from there.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 10:38:28 AM »
Another option that may not have been mentioned is to let them start at 3rd lvl. This may roughly correspond to a 1st lvl D&D character, assuming they're familiar with that system.

This way, the PC's have a better chance of successful actions, to which they're accustomed. It really depends on the level of experience with games and role play 'professionalism'. Some people need quick rewards to not become disenfranchised with a set of rules, others may enjoy struggling for each xp. Most players' taste change over time.

My first real experience with the game, I picked up an NPC Fighter than was good with only 2-3 skills. A bit over specialized. Being allowed to tweak him a bit, I picked deaf and mute to pimp the system. GM gave me a 1/day Invisible item.. For some reason the group didn't trust me as a new addition the first time we met :(

My second memorable experience was giving my 1st lvl Mage a month long coma or losing ability to cast spells.. (I forget now), just by casting Find Familiar.

My rpg wants and needs have matured but way back then, I didn't see much reward in a system that naturally weeded out a certain Profession. Now, I wouldn't want tit any other way.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »
I never really had a problem scaling adventures for lower-level PCs, and unless you do heavy pre-gen work starting a party at 3rd level adds to the time between dice rolling and starting play, IMO.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »
ROtG on Amazon....one left.

I found more copies here in the old world... but some of them are bloody expensive (80£ to more than 100£!).  :-\

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/155806365X/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1330551146&sr=8-2&condition=used
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.