Author Topic: New Skill Classification  (Read 1494 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
New Skill Classification
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »
Could not find anything about this doing a search.

A new skill classification: Constrained.

Everyone already knows about the Occupational, Everyman, Normal, and Restricted classifications.  To further alienate a skill from certain cultures, societies, races, etc., I came up with the idea of a Constrained skill classification.

If a skill is designated as Constrained, for every three ranks developed, the character gains only one rank.  Character only gains one skill rank for each complete set of three ranks.

This came about when a friend GM was running a largely desert planet (had a single ocean with about 9% of planet's surface).  With the culture of humans on the opposite side of the planet, he commented, "I wish I could make the idea and skill of swimming more alien to these people."  I then suggested to make the skill like Restricted, but 3:1 instead of 2:1.

Just thought I'd throw the idea out here.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New Skill Classification
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 04:51:13 PM »
 For your Constrained skill classification I have used R3 which is Restricted 3. I have also had higher R#'s for various skills based on the above example you have given or something close to that.
MDC

BTW;
 I like R3 or C or what ever someone chooses to call it.
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:30:09 AM »
It appears that almost all mammals can swim with the possible exception of giraffes.                                                                   http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2010/06/giraffe_flotation_dynamics.php   

I've never thought of having another Class for skills, I just give them a penalty and make it restricted.

My dwarves have myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy as a race. This makes them very strong (+6 RMFRP). But with denser muscles they don't float very well. So Swimming is Restricted by Culture and they have a -20 for Race.   

Let us know how it goes.             
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:07:41 AM »
The difficulty for these people would be less a case of spending the DPs, but in finding someone to teach them the skill in the first place. At the very least, they'd need to observe some other land animal swimming in order to form the idea to try to figure it out on their own.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:55:58 AM »
I would run it as Forbidden. Until they were shown that it was actually something that could occur and how to do it, they wouldn't even know of that skill's existence. Then due to the "weirdness/alien-ness" of the action it would be restricted for them.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 10:55:29 PM »
I like the Forbidden.  That could be next higher restriction beyond Constrained.

Thanks for all the ideas and advice.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.