Author Topic: Awakening Spell vs Over limit in Stun Rounds KO  (Read 1905 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Awakening Spell vs Over limit in Stun Rounds KO
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »
About the Awake spell....
Let's say I'm unconscious from excessive stuns. These stuns are Stun, SNP, Down, Out, all added together to exceed my 10 +2x Co stat bonus.

Now my 'subconscious' casts Awake. Would I be awake with just enough stun to keep me this side of KO'd? KO'd -1. 
For example: I have 90 Co = +5. 10 +2(5)= 20.
If I have 25 or even 30 rounds of accumulated 'stun' (somehow) and I cast Awake, would I have 19 rounds of stun; -1 would be 18 rounds because Awake requires 1 round?
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Awakening Spell vs Over limit in Stun Rounds KO
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 11:16:50 AM »
Actually, wouldn't you need someone else to cast "Awake" on you? I thought the only spell you could cast while stunned, was stun removal spells?
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
I think you would be awake in the same manner a boxer is when knocked down and has that far far away look in his eyes as he tries, unsuccessfully, to get to his feet.  When the stun gets low enough, you can get to your feet and mnv at appropriate penalties.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »
I concur, i wouldn't take off any rounds, I'd just convert any "out" rounds to "down" rounds, and consider the character to be "Down" until enough rounds of stun wear off for them to be awake without the spell effect. I suspect that'd qualify as a house rule though.

Technically, if you wanted to be a real stickler for the rules, the character would awaken, but if you didn't then hit them with some stun relief, they'd pass out again at the end of the round.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »
Technically, if you wanted to be a real stickler for the rules, the character would awaken, but if you didn't then hit them with some stun relief, they'd pass out again at the end of the round.

Yeah, this is probably most likely.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
I concur, i wouldn't take off any rounds, I'd just convert any "out" rounds to "down" rounds, and consider the character to be "Down" until enough rounds of stun wear off for them to be awake without the spell effect. I suspect that'd qualify as a house rule though.

I thought about that.  It would be funny.  I also thought the spell might allow a Cox3 plus 50 (for the spell) with 101 being awake, rolls under passing back out, and I would roll each round, even after failing a check, until the stun wore down.  Would depend on a lot though: would such a mnv be dramatic at the moment in the game or more a pain in the arse rolling dice?  I tend to go 55% in favor of the players.  What I would not do is create a prescedence were awaken spell could be used as a stun relief skill/spell wjatever.  Players don't forget stuff ike that.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »

Yes this is how I would rule it. IMHO the Gm might make the player roll (something I do not know what right now) to see if they can select the instant spells to cast first. ie cast stun relief X, awakenen (if instant spell). Or what ever order you the player would like to cast the spells.

Also I think it was ruled a while ago that Stun no parry happened concurrently with stuns but I could be wrong.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 04:05:28 AM »
In our games Awaken will work in all situations except a magical sleep where there would first be a spell-spell contest.

However the Awaken spell does not remove penalties, so if you passed out due to excessive stun then normally you could not perform any consciouss activities so an additional -100 to all actions (one of our house rules) this would be in addition to other physical penalties.

Unconscioussness from miscast spells appear to have additional penalties listed which in our games remain even if awakened.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 02:27:41 PM »
Personally I would rule that Awaken would indeed awaken a charcter unconsious due to stun, the character would still be stunned (I hate to think of the negatives for that many rounds of stun for a Stunnded Maneuver rolls) and if the accumulated stuns would result in unconsiousness in the follwoing round, the character would be KO'd once again.

One of the main reason my players use awaken, other than to 'cure' some sort of injury, is to negate the penalties of waking up (Round 1 -75, Round 2 -50, Round 3 -25).

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »
In our games Awaken will work in all situations except a magical sleep where there would first be a spell-spell contest.

I have Awaken work on Magical Sleep in any round after the first. (I recall somewhere that a person can't be woken in that first round ... Errata? Companion? ... )
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »
I believe on the 1st 2 rounds of Sleep V and the 1st minute(?) of Golden Slumbers, it's considered magical sleep, the character can't normally wake up, or can't wake up by normal means..

For that instance, an Awake spell may not be normal means and might work.