Author Topic: Mentalism and Detection  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Monty

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Mentalism and Detection
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:09:16 AM »
Maybe I just cannot find the post, so please forgive me if this information exists elsewhere.

How 'aware' is someone of mental manipulation ? When you cast "Questions" on someone, and they fail their RR (forcing them to answer a single question truthfully) - how aware are they that they are being compelled ?

Is there a skill that helps get better at noticing this ?

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Mentalism and Detection
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:09:50 AM »
Which version are you playing? RM2/C or RMSS/FRP?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Monty

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »
RMSS

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:07:39 PM »
Maybe I just cannot find the post, so please forgive me if this information exists elsewhere.

How 'aware' is someone of mental manipulation ? When you cast "Questions" on someone, and they fail their RR (forcing them to answer a single question truthfully) - how aware are they that they are being compelled ?

With Question spells, unless the target fails his rr by more than 50, assume they know they are being compelled.  Unlike suggestion, Question is mot a freindly spell in the least.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »
It's an FM spell, so you're forcing an answer through overcoming an RR.

Normally this is noticeable. It's neither a (s)ubtle or an (i)nformational spell, if the target makes the RR or not they feel being compelled to reply.

Some GMs bend this a bit. If the GM feels the spell itself isn't noticeable in their game, then the nature of the questions and context of asking matter.

Like, if you cast it on someone and ask "What the time?" they might not really question the compulsion to answer.

If you ask "What's your login and password for the CIA mainframe?" they may either question why they answered that question, or just take action to fix that breach of security right after answering, either by having you arrested, or changing their login or password.

This is often an issue with Fm spells, like if you charm kind someone, will they realize they've been mind controlled when the duration runs out? A lot depends on how it's used, how well the caster works it into a plausible scenario and how common magic and mind magic in particular is.

For example, walking up to a woman in a bar, flirting a while, chatting, getting along well, then using Question for "What's your phone number?" will get you the number if they fail the RR. . .and the build up makes the situation plausible, even if they normally don't give their number to people they meet in bars. . .If you just roll up on them, cast "What's your phone number?" that's weird, and out of context, and they will strongly wonder why they gave it to you.

In a world where mind magic is unheard of, they may just wonder why they felt compelled to answer, in a world with lots of mind magic they may immediately suspect.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »

I would rule the same way as Yamma on your question.
MDC

With Question spells, unless the target fails his rr by more than 50, assume they know they are being compelled.  Unlike suggestion, Question is mot a freindly spell in the least.
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
FYI, Gamemaster Law has an excellent table dealing with suggestion type spells, along with fear.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.