Author Topic: Gaze attack question  (Read 2165 times)

Offline cdtatro

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Gaze attack question
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:10:26 AM »
I'm probably being dumb and missing it, but how do gaze attacks work? Is there even a to-hit roll, or any way for a PC to avoid locking eyes with the cockatrice/medusa/basilisk? I know there's an RR to determine how long you're turned to stone, if at all, but is that it?

(I'm using a hybrid of Express and Classic here, if that makes a difference)

Thanks,

Chris

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Gaze attack question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:54:48 AM »
For the Medusa, anybody who looks upon her face must make a RR.

For the other creatures, they make a Gaze Attack (they stare at the target). In this case, you treat it essentially the same as a non-elemental spell attack. And the target gets a RR.

The stats for the RR depends upon how you, as the GM decides that the powers of these creatures works in your setting. For example, if they are magical, then you would treat them as being of a semi or proto arcane nature, and use the average of the RR bonuses for all three realms for he RR.

If you determine that the powers have some other source, you would use stats based on that source (for example, if you decide that it is a psychic power, then SD would be the stats to use).

As stated before, you roll on the Base Spell Attack Table (RMC Spell Law page 268 or RMX page 57) (or you could skip this if you are being nice), and then roll on the RR Table against the creature's level.

That is the basics of it. If you want more details, I would encourage you to pick up the RMC Creatures & Treasures and read up more on Innate Attacks.  ;D

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Gaze attack question
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »
In the old creatures and treasures, two types of attacks were described, level attacks and chance/luck.  A level attack is simple enough; make this rr every round or turn to stone.  A chance attack says; roll over this number every round or turn to stone, no mods.

So if you have a pit trap, it could be make an rr, for every 10 pts of failure, take a C krush crit.  OR it could be roll d100, and if you roll over 30, you miss the trap.  Roll 30 or less and DIE (or take 1d10 C krush crits, or what ever).

Anther option that I like is to assign a rr, generally with a high attack level, say 25th (high attack level varies depending on party levels)or turn to stone.  They may recieve a mod to the rr equal to the penalty they are willing to take in combat (for keeping eyes closed, not looking, etc), up to +100.  A level one PC needs a 95 to resist a level 15 attack, and I try to make the attack level just high enough were the -100 for being blind will almost guarantee suceess...almost.  PC's are notorious at fumbling.  A failed or fumbled roll means the PC opened his eyes for just second, poor soul.

One other thing, when a PC is hit, they should have to make a new rr to avoid not opening their eyes and taking one to many hits of mary jane, if ya know what I mean.

Best part of this, the baskilisk in the books are tough, but have very low OB's.  You won't have to change any of the monsters stats and you will be SO ammused as the party stumbles around blind trying to wack a lizzard.  Hilarity will ensue.  

Or mod the theme.  A chance based save requiring 40 or higher to resist with a bonus of +10 to the roll for every level in crit reduction the PC is willing to suffer.  If you're mean, rather than a large foe, just have the beast reduce crits by two already.

Go with fun, but leave it dangerous.  Players rarely notice when a danger is statistically on their side since they worry so much about death and dismemberment, which always makes me thinks of a garbage man complaining about the smell of garbage.  I mean seriously, it goes with the job.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.