Author Topic: Martial Arts Styles  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
Martial Arts Styles
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:23:10 PM »
All,
In the HARP core book, under Dragon Style Martial Art Style, it states that characters get +5 to initiative and may use the Grapple table in place of Strikes/Sweeps. Does the character automatically gain the bonuses just for having the style or are there rolls involved?

If I were to create a style called "Stonefist", and let the characters replace the Strike/Sweep table with Impact, is that enough or should I add some other minor power, and what would you suggest?

Thanks!
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Martial Arts Styles
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »
The MA Strikes skill needs to have more ranks than the Combat Style - you then use the Combat style (with special bonuses) for the combat rolls.

BTW - What you are describing is already listed in the Martial Law book as Hammerhands for 40 DP and does not require the special style to be developed.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
The MA Strikes skill needs to have more ranks than the Combat Style - you then use the Combat style (with special bonuses) for the combat rolls.

BTW - What you are describing is already listed in the Martial Law book as Hammerhands for 40 DP and does not require the special style to be developed.

I am aware of the skill rank requirements, it's just that the other styles have rolls involved to use the style and Dragon Style seems to provide bonuses just for having the style.

Also aware of Hammerhands in ML (don't want to use it like that- would rather have a martial art style)... I am trying to come up with a dwarven-style martial art.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »
Also look on page 20 of Martial Law for additional Martial Arts styles, including one that gives a Stone Fist technique (which allows impact crits). It requires the a roll (using a different skill).

As for the Dragon style, the alternate critical is meant represent a different fighting style (i.e. strikes/sweeps/grapples) but one that does not increase the overall power, whereas your "Impact" crit is using a more powerful critical type but not changing the fighting style.

As for bonuses/effects that do not specify that they require a skill roll, that makes them automatic (or you have to at least declare them if the effect is a variant on the norm), so long as you are using the style.

For example, if surprised, a person would not get the init bonus that first round because they were not using the style at the time of the declaration (they would get it on following rounds though, if they were using the style).

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:26:43 PM »
Thanks.... clears things up nicely!
www.strategypage.com

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
OK... the monk uses skill bonus in Dragon Style for Grapple attacks, but does he use Dragon Style bonus for Strikes/Sweeps as well? (considering the rank restrictions)
www.strategypage.com

Offline Johan Wärlander

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 03:40:24 AM »
The way I understand it, if in a combat round he decided to use Dragon Style, he would use it both for grappling and for Strikes/Sweeps. However, he could certainly decide to switch and NOT to use Dragon style for a particular combat round, but then he wouldn't of course get the +5 to init either. I wouldn't allow mixing two styles during a single round, though.

Of course, if you want to confuse your opponent, switching styles between rounds might be a good idea. In fact, I would probably allow some minor advantage for doing that if your opponent couldn't keep up with you (through a combat perception roll, or something such). This would give an edge to people who are highly proficient (read: fully trained for their level = 3+3xLvl ranks) in several different fighting styles.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 07:02:33 AM »
OK... the monk uses skill bonus in Dragon Style for Grapple attacks, but does he use Dragon Style bonus for Strikes/Sweeps as well? (considering the rank restrictions)

His bonus in the style is his OB, regardless of the attack being made.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 08:52:05 AM »
A character has Strikes:6 ranks, Dragon Style:6 ranks, Sweeps:3 ranks. Considering all stat bonuses to be +10, and Monk bonus- Dragon Style +10, are the following correct?

Strike OB= +50
Grapple OB= +50
Sweeps OB= +25 (?)

Because Sweep ranks are less than Dragon Style...right?
www.strategypage.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »
Yeah, plus, they do NOT and cannot gain any of the style benefits while using sweeps --

though personally, I would require the sweeps to be the MA skill associated with the Dragon style, not Strikes, or require both to be of equal or higher level.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »
OK..Thanks!

One last question ;D...

What would the fumble range for Grapple be, 1-2 or 1-3?
www.strategypage.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 01:11:10 PM »
same as for sweeps, I would say.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 01:26:40 PM »
Thanks... :)
www.strategypage.com